13" MBP or 27" Imac ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by colour, Mar 8, 2011.

1. colour macrumors regular

I need some advice as I'm not sure what would be the best buy for me and my needs. I am an architecture student but also a designer and i wish to learn and do allot more motion & 3d this year (adobe ae, c4d, 3d max ect). I already use the creative suit but what to explore film and architectural apps. Would a 13" macbook pro be good enough for this kind of work.

Options are:

highest end 13' 2011 Macbook Pro (i7 8gb ram) + 24-30 monitor.

or do put in another $1000

Higher end 27" Imac i7

Essentially do you think i would get by on the 13" even though it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card for my needs? I would like to add i only want to buy a 13" macbook i don't want anything larger.

2. iZero macrumors regular

Honestly for a workhorse, I prefer my iMac. Nothing I have ever used, even my MacBook Pro, beats it for that. I've heard the new MBP's are faster than the highest end iMacs from 2010, and that may be true. But other factors come into play. The screen is gorgeous, it's fast, absolutely powerful enough, and great for just about anything I throw at it. The storage it has is a huge plus as well. That being said, if mobility is important, it's absolutely the worst choice, naturally. Which being a student, I am sure mobility is pretty important, yes? :)

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

In your case, go for the iMac. The 27" iMac screen is simply amazing and HUGE!

4. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I'm sorry to tell you this, but unless Apple decides to take out the ODD and include the "Pro" 13" machines with discrete graphics card, I won't recommend getting the 13" when you can buy the 27" which performs better than every Macbooks and Macbook Pros.
    Yes, the Intel HD 3000 is sufficient for some people, but people like you who wants to do some designing involving 3D need a desktop. (the only reason I say this is because you mentioned you don't like to carry anything that's bigger than 13")

5. colour thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the replies guys.

I hate having more then 1 machine, I like it all to be in one place, thats why i dont really want to get an macbook air, i feel like you never use one as much as another. The iMacs are great but i would like to do it all on a 13" portable unit. I think with the imacs your really buying the screen and a good workstation more then anything.

has anyone tried to do 3D on the 13" 2011?

6. colour thread starter macrumors regular

Imacs are great but i think il wait till there is an update in 4-5 months and in the mean time buy the i7 mbp.

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I don't think you'll be waiting that long for an imac update... maybe 6 weeks.

8. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

While I'm not sure when to expect the iMac refresh, in general I would whole heartedly recommend the 27" iMac over the 13" MBP. Both are great but you really can't beat the iMac for a work station. The screen is just so incredible, especially in person.