13" MBP Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lindsford, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

Hi I'm looking at getting a 2011 or 2012 13" MBP the main reason I want to get the newest model is the better graphics performance, I realize it's not the best but quite a bit better then the HD3000 from last year. I've been reading that upgrading to 8gb or 16gb of ram will make intel's integrated graphics better. So my question is how much. Any input or links would be awesome. I did some searching on google and couldn't find anything incredibly useful

I was looking at something like
    2011 13" MBP adding 256gb SSD and 16gb of ram

or
    2012 13" MBP adding 128gb SSD and 8/16gb of ram

Looking to use this for the usual college stuff. but would also like something that can handle stuff like SC2, Borderlands 2 and Diablo 3.

2. fleawannabe macrumors regular

Not sure about the RAM/graphics question but I would not get Apples SSD or RAM, get the HDD and upgrade to the SSD with an outside company.

3. Zarkizon macrumors member

I got the base model 13-inch, Mid-2012 MacBook Pro, and then I bought third party RAM (16 GB) and a 256 SSD.

The SSD makes it much faster to boot up, shut down, launching apps, and opening files.

The 16 GB RAM I added is actually slightly slower (1333 MHz) than the 4 GB of RAM (1600 MHz) that comes with the MBP by default. However, having more RAM allows the computer to have more apps running at once.

Most importantly, you can save several hundred dollars by getting third party RAM and an SSD than ordering directly from Apple.

I would get at least 8 GB RAM, I usually use about 150 GB of storage on my drives, so I went with the 256 GB SSD for more storage. The SSD is really great.

Since you're also in college, I recommend that when you purchase your MacBook Pro, get the educational discount to save you $100.

My MacBook Pro with the third party hardware and the discount cost me about $1,400.

For third party RAM and SSD, I recommend Crucial:http://www.crucial.com

4. igiboi macrumors member

I waited for a sale, got 80$ corsair force 3 ssd 120gb.
    55$ for a corsair vengeance 1600mhz 8gb ram.

Opted for the cheaper ssd, since I thought ssd prices are still dropping and probably gonna ugprade to 512gb when prices go down more. Bought a external enclosure for stock 500gb hdd from mac, and used it to store music and videos, also as a back up

5. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat, only I want the 13" MBP as opposed to the 15" mainly for space saving.

But as others say it's cheaper to get more ram and an SSD from 3rd party suppliers.

As far as gaming goes, I've asked around and a lot of peeps say the HD4000 still wont cut it as far as gaming is concerned, even an older discrete GPU say in a 15" MBP refurd would better serve gaming purposes than the HD4000 with more machine ram(which btw takes shared ram for the GPU to 512MB max, regardless of 8GB or 16GB system mem)