13" MBP RAM Upgrade Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by agl82, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Tasc macrumors newbie

It's the loctite on the screws, sometimes they get frozen in there pretty good. Just be careful not to slip with the screwdriver and start destroying the screw head - then you really are in trouble. I had to put a lot of downward pressure on the screwdriver to keep the driver from slipping when removing some of the screws.

2. agl82 thread starter macrumors regular

agl82

3. tsa1 macrumors regular

4. agl82 thread starter macrumors regular

agl82

5. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Yeah I couldn't get mine open with one of my #00 screwdrivers but my other one worked, my first one was spinning around on some of the screws, worked fine for others though.
    So are you seriously not spinning the screwdriver, its a leverage problem?

6. agl82 thread starter macrumors regular

agl82

7. LowMach macrumors member

You might try applying down pressure on the screwdriver with one hand a use a small set of pliers to turn the screw.

I did the ram HD update on my 13 mbp yesterday and several screws were just plain stuborn.

Whatever you do do not drop a screw on carpet. Geez I would like those 30 minutes back.

Cheers

edit: I used the same screwdriver

HD note: the HD bracket uses some odd sized Allen wrench. I say odd cause none of my 20 small wrenches fit. I used pliers without damaging the head whatsoever.

8. agl82 thread starter macrumors regular

agl82

9. thaniel98 macrumors newbie

I upgraded my 13 uMBP with a SSD and RAM and had no issues getting the screws out. I used a Phillips #00 to get the 10 bottom screws out and the hard drive screws are a Torx T6.

I used to use a jewelers set but I stripped several screws with it. I picked up a pair of craftsman Phillips #00 and a T6 at a local sears and they have worked great on every macbook pro ive had.

10. youssefm macrumors 6502

I'm having the same issue but its for a unibody macbook =/ I stripped a screw, and i got them all out except two, they're just completely stuck.. I have a genius bar appointment for tomorrow so hopefully they can replace my screws and let me do it in store, they're pretty chill here in nyc

11. agl82 thread starter macrumors regular

agl82

12. LowMach macrumors member

agl82: thats great! :)

thaniel98: i suspected it was torx. it is so tiny my eyes had a hard time seeing it.

another tip i found that came in handy was being able to eject a cd by holding down the trackpad button while the machine boots. i forgot i had a disc in when i went to do the hd swap and the eject button was not working. maybe this will help someone. :D