Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Basically I was exploring to option of buying a 13" MBP to help with reading ebooks/pdfs and just general blogging as well.

I currently have a 11" Air which I find a pain to read on probably because it has 135 PPI and is also pretty small. I read that the 13" MBP Retina has 227 PPI.

Does any find reading PDFs/books on Retina display to be a good experience or should I consider going with a higher end Kindle?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think a tablet is better suited for this task. While its possible to use a laptop for this, I think the iPad or tablet is better.

Consider the retina Mini, due to its size and hold ability while reading, or consider the iPad Air because its gorgeous (and large) screen. Another option is a Kindle PaperWhite, nothing will beat it in terms of scrips text and ease of reading.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
^

I agree with above - the tablet makes a much better reader. If, however, you are a wanting a laptop I can vouch to say that the retina MBP is a joy to read text on. It never bothers me while the screen on the Air would eventually begin to bother me if I was reading for a long period of time.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Another vote for a tablet here.

An iPad Air will fulfil your blogging and e-reader needs.

nerowolfe

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Unless you're reading technical, color textbooks and the like (which look best on 15" anyway rather than 13" rMBP), a tablet or an ereader would make more sense.

crawler1975

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
Basically I was exploring to option of buying a 13" MBP to help with reading ebooks/pdfs and just general blogging as well.

I currently have a 11" Air which I find a pain to read on probably because it has 135 PPI and is also pretty small. I read that the 13" MBP Retina has 227 PPI.

Does any find reading PDFs/books on Retina display to be a good experience or should I consider going with a higher end Kindle?

I agree with all that for your situation - a tablet is best suited.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
rMBP screen great for reading

Text on my rMBP is fantastic.

However an Ipad air will be a much better option for ereading pdfs and even blogging with a bluetooth keyboard.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Of course you can read well on a rmbp, but an Ipad would make more sense.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
I think a tablet is better suited for this task. While its possible to use a laptop for this, I think the iPad or tablet is better.

Consider the retina Mini, due to its size and hold ability while reading, or consider the iPad Air because its gorgeous (and large) screen. Another option is a Kindle PaperWhite, nothing will beat it in terms of scrips text and ease of reading.

Funny I actually don't like to hold a tablet when reading. I always use a big pillow and prop it up like this picture. I do the same with my 11" Air. I just get a big pillow on my lap and have the laptop on top of that so it's closer to my face and isn't making contact with my body. Thats part of the reason why I was thinking about a Retina MBP. I also do tend to read a lot of PDF documents and I usually find this easier to do on my laptop as thats where i do most of my normal computing and the documents are already on there.

cushi_gallery_11.jpg

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
If thats your preference

Well if thats your preference then teh rMBP is brilliant for text, it is the most underated thing about teh screen for me. Video and photos look great blah blah blah, but the interaction with text is a huge part of most people computing and it looks fantastic on an rMBP I love my 13 for that, but do prefer to read on my ipad mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.