13" MBP/Retina Keyboard + Trackpad failures?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by panjandrum, Sep 29, 2015.

1. panjandrum macrumors regular

panjandrum

I'm trying to discover if this is a common issue (so far, Googling hasn't found much, so I'm guessing "no"):

So we've got a 13" MBP Retina (Mid 2014 model, just 6 weeks out of warranty) which has suddenly experienced intermittent Trackpad and Keyboard failure. Definitely not software based (happens when booted in Bootcamp, happens when booted from external drive in Mac OS also). Have done the firmware reset, pram reset etc.

There used to be a firmware problem with these units, but that was previous to this model and this model has no available firmware updates listed, so as far as I can tell this can't be a firmware issue.

Looks like the remaining issue is a hardware failure, but looking for more info as to whether or not this is a common failure and how Apple is handling repairs. (The unit was not damaged - no liquids or dropping involved).

Anyone else seen similar issues? Had any luck with Apple post-warranty on this issue?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

2. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

What issues? Just not working at all?

I have the newer 13" retina MBP and the other day the trackpad would not "click". I could move the cursor and use tap to click but would not get the physical click feel. I rebooted a couple times before it worked, and it's worked since. I barely use it though, but the 2 time maybe since then it had worked. I have a 45 day return policy so I'm still testing it.

Also deciding is 128GB is enough:confused:.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's within the warranty send it back to be fixed.

4. panjandrum thread starter macrumors regular

panjandrum

Thanks for the feedback. Having tested this quite a bit more extensively over a few weeks now, I believe the unit has the "swelling battery interfering with keyboard / trackpad" issue I've seen reported elsewhere. It will be interesting to see how this plays-out, as we all know batteries swell; it's a common problem. If Apple failed to take into consideration even minimal battery swelling in their design, well, my opinion is that's a design flaw. It is outside of warranty, unfortunately (we only get 1 year in the USA without paying for Apple Care because we like to protect big companies instead of those silly insignificant "little people"). At any rate, a battery is far less than a top-case repair, and hopefully Apple will cover it anyway. We will find out soon.