13" MBP runs cooler now for some reason

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cababah, Jun 23, 2009.

1. cababah macrumors 68000

I do a lot of video iChatting and my CPU would always go up in the 80's or 90's C and then cool down but after I shut it down last night (I usually sleep it) and restarted, now I video chat for hours and the CPU temp does not climb above 75C and the fans are still at 2000rpm according to iStat pro. I have the same amount of applications open as before but it does not get as hot, any explanation for this? I like the fact that it is cooler, but I wonder why the change.

2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

ummm.... when you use more than 60% of your processing power for fullscreen video chatting.. things get a little hot.

depending on the positioning of your computer, and the where the temps were before could explain a few things....

3. cababah thread starter macrumors 68000

Same position, same apps open, same temp in my apartment..

no fullscreen video,
    approx 16% CPU load before and after

even fan speed stayed the same, only difference is a way lower cpu temp..weird

4. lathode macrumors member

80-90c on 16% load? Something isn't right there. Maybe an error, maybe you had the vent blocked? and the fan should definately speed up in the 80-90c range, mine did. I was doing 50% load ripping CD's to iTunes for it to get to 85c I believe it was, atleast that's what iStat showed.

5. cababah thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't know what could have been wrong, I thought it was normal to heat up that much doing video iChat. The computer was on a flat surface both times with virtually no other applications open. Any ideas as to what could have been the cause for this earlier?

I don't think it was just my computer reaching high temps while doing video chat since my sister's MB would record similar temps while video chatting with me. Anyway, I guess I should just be content that it is operating cooler now..just trying to figure out what made the big difference...something had to have changed after I shut the computer down.

6. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

You should change the name of the thread. It made me laugh at first.

7. cababah thread starter macrumors 68000

lol..I guess the world will never know

[​IMG]

8. sos85 macrumors member

I use a laptop fan cooler to cool my mac 13 and work fine.

9. cababah thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you for the tip, but that does not address my "issue" I was having.