13" MBP + Samsung 40" LED TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdaniel, Aug 23, 2011.

1. jdaniel, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

jdaniel macrumors 65816

So I am connecting it with Kanex cable direct picture looks great sound comes out fine... all in one cable no need for adapters.

Problem I have is in dual screen mode its fine.. it fills up the whole screen on the Samsung, when in mirror mode not so much, I have tried a variety of resolutions but I always have a black space on the left of the Samsung screen.. which is kinda weird. I thought at least one of those resolutions would work, also some would cut out the top bar of the screen.. if anyone has a similar set up and do not have this problem please let me know what resolution you are using.

THANKS

780p works but top cut off, and I think the left extends beyond the screen.
    1080i and p the left side gets cut off.

and nothing else seems to get rid of the left bar the

2. derickdub, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

derickdub macrumors 6502

You can't mirror exporting a different resolution than what the MBP display is using. I don't see why 1080p wouldn't work (or 720p is the TV doesn't support 1080p), but that isn't the native MBP resolution. Are you enabling overscan? Also, 1366x768 is the max resolution for most 720p TVs. So I would try that too.

Giving your TV model would help also.

Edit:

Upon looking into my display settings (I am using an external monitor), I enabled mirror and couldn't export a resolution greater than 1280x800. Find out weather your TV is 1080p or 720p and uncheck the overscan box.

There is also an app called SwitchResX IIRC. It allows you to disable your MBP display and and unlocks all resolutions. I don't use this program so I am not 100% sure on what it can or can't do though.

3. jdaniel, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

I dont have an over scan box.. I am using samsung UA or UN 40D5000

also its not that it wont work the screen will show just isnt showing right, it leaves a space on the left wont stretch all the way left and it also goes too far up so I cant see the top bar.. if I choose 720p the only thing that stretches it all the way left, it stretches tooo far... beyond what I can view... hmmmmm

THANKS

oh and i have the underscan thing but its underscan and its greyed out its like a slider

4. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

5. Kafka macrumors 6502

Select 1080p on your MBP, and on your TV try this:
    Go to display settings, look for format, and in there you should find a setting called something like "scan only".

The issue I had with my Mac Mini on my Samsung TV sounds a lot like this: I didn't have a bar on the left but the top and bottom were always missing, I had to select "scan only" every time I turned the TV on.

Never found how to have this setting selected once and for all but in the end I noticed in the MBP display settings a drop bar on the right, next to the resolution selection that allowed to "tune" the size of what the MBP sent to the TV. Solved my problem.

6. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah that option to manually adjust the size does not work for mirror mode..its greyed out for me.

7. Kafka, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

Kafka macrumors 6502

Did you find that "scan only" thing if it's there?

8. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Why are you trying to mirror the displays?

If you want to use the external display as the primary display, drag the menu bar in the display settings preference pane to the display that you want to act as the primary display.

9. stordoff macrumors regular

AFAIK, you can't mirror the displays and fill the screen on both at the same time, as the aspect ratio is different. The MacBook has a 16:10 display, but the TV has a 16:9 display.

10. icebiker macrumors newbie

Hi,

it does the exact same thing to me (i own a samsung TV as well);

If you mirror the desktop OSX isn't capable of handling 16:10 and 16:9 at the same time on different desktops.

There are Black margins on both sides or the image shifts completely to the left leaving a black margin (double size) on the right side.

No problem at all if you use extended desktops...

11. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah I dont have that :(

12. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

because I want to use just the tv screen as my main display showing me the dock and whatever programs I open I dont have to look to my laptop and drag it literally across the room to my tv...coz then I have to open everything on the main screen anything i open will open on my laptop screen and has to be dragged over... and at this point I dont even think clamshell mode works....I read an article about it and have yet to try.....

and I do not quite know what you mean by dragging the menu bar... which menus bar....you mean the pop up box when I open up settings > display? what does that do... it just remains open but doesnt do anything as far as I can tell..

13. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

ok so now i have it working in clam shell mode.... 1600 x900 60hz works best gives me very clear lettering and all that if i use 1080p etc the words get a bit unclear one thing about this is the screen is really bright and I cannot seem to change it through the tv nor the mbp in this state

so i guess its either clamshell mode or extended display

now to find a wireless bt keyboard that is lighted and I never have to use my desk again :)

14. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

In order to make the external monitor the primary one, go to System Preferences -> Displays.

Select Arrangement. You will see two rectangles - each representing a monitor (internal & external).

You will also notice there is a small white bar at the top of the smaller rectangle. Drag the bar to the bigger rectangle (indicating that you want to make the external monitor the primary one).

15. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok I am in europe for the month I will try when I get back home and let you know how it works :)