13" MBP screen bezel is as chunky as a donkey's behind

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie7, Jun 9, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

it ain't pretty. esp on such a small screen. it doesn't look right. a phat arse bezel on a little MBP. it just ain't right

and the glossy screen BS again. Apple give us a matte option. charge $40 extra. i'll add more to your already hideously massive money bin

2. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

it's the same size bezel as before guys. op is just complaining

3. MedHead macrumors regular

Eh arent they the exact same as the previous UMB? Unless they really cut the trackpad size then the bezel has to remain that large!

4. jay1118 macrumors member

jay1118

op must have just bought one of the old macbooks and is ticked he didnt wait....

5. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

uh. NO.

6. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I do kinda agree the black around the screen is really ridiculous, the 15in looks so much better with a smaller bezel. Oh well

7. ..........? macrumors member

People use your brain. The size of the screen isn't the only thing apple thinks about. What about the guts of the computer. The only reason the bezel is so large is because the motherboard and the other things can only be so small. The motherboard can be really small but the battery, HDD and opttical drive has a standard size thats why the bezel is slighty bigger so the lid and the bottom half fits together instead the lid being small then the bottom. You can have your small bezel if you are willing to lose the optical drive or smaller 1.8" HDD or smaller battery.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

9. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I realize that, but then you should put a bigger screen on the machine to fill in the bezel, though I don't think 13.5in is a very popular size. lol

10. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Complete crap. The sizing of the bezel has NOTHING to do with the bottom half. What difference does it make that it differs from the base and visa versa? When you close it you don't see it anyway. For all the "great design" that Apple is known for, it seems a detail like making the bezel proportional and elegant to the form factor should not have been overlooked not only from a usability point of view (making as much needed screen real estate available on the smallest laptop in the line up) as well as aesthetics.

The classic 15 & 17" MBPs are examples of when the industrial designer got this right.

11. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

well said. and maybe Apple couldnt be bothered to spend more on a custom sized screen. Its not as if they are struggling in the money bin department.

12. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Why do you keep referring to Apple's money? They're a business and their primary goal is to continue to be a profitable one.

The bezel comes as a result of a 13.3" display, with a comfortable, full sized keyboard and gigantic trackpad. I also think that Apple had to increase the bezel due to how thin they made the displays now. Maybe they compensated the thickness with width?

Regardless, I, too, hate the gigantic bezel. But I know that they aren't creating custom made displays to satisfy users that are just going to buy the machine anyways.

Also agree on the matte screen option. Why not, Apple?

13. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I refer to it with the basis that with their buying and negotiating position they can easily ask LG to make a display specifically for the 13" MBP. 1. They can afford it and 2. they tick another box in the design department towards making a better form factor laptop, which in turn should sell better. And hence generate more profits. I have no problem with Apple being profitable. I do however object to poor and ill-considered design from a "design-led" brand such as Apple. I'm keeping them true. If they still care that is

14. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Seriously? This is a big issue? Talk about overkill.

So they have a bigger custom screen made to satisfy this weird complaint about the bezel....then the same people are going to complain about the increase in price.

15. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

It's just a trick to make the laptop look bigger than it actually is. Just like the black bezel on the iMacs.

16. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

i'd be more than happy to pay the premium. given that i have to look at it for the next 3-5 years at least. its money well spent

17. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Then buy a 15" with a satisfying bezel for you, get the higher resolution along with it and feel safe in your money spent.

18. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I already have one. And a 17. I have been waiting for the 13. Looks like I'll have to wait till they get it right

19. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Too picky, moving on. I for one will gladly enjoy my new 13" MBP when I order it in a few days.

20. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Are there any comparison pics, the 13.3" MBP bezel vs the 15.4" MBP bezel?

21. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Same.

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Here's a thought, ever thought about USING it rather than looking at it? Isn't that what people do with computers or is it your intention to decorate your table with it?:p

23. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I might be the only one who agrees. The bezel is too large. The width of the computer would have to be trimmed down to make smaller and fit, but still.