13"MBP screen brightness issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brendu, Jan 17, 2010.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

So today my screen has been acting up on me, it keeps lowering and raising the brightness all on its own... The brightness indicator that pops up when you push the buttons does not show up, the screen just gets brighter or dimmer for a few (10-30 seconds) then goes back to where I have it set at...

any ideas why this is occuring? My battery level is at 64% and it is not plugged in.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Do you have the keyboard backlight enabled? If so, does it turn on when your display dims? (If you don't have the keyboard setup to backlight, then do this, and see if it turns on when your screen dims).

Could be just a simple reset of the SMC though.

3. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

the backlit keyboard is on and set to 3 bars, I am in a dark room watching tv so the keyboard is backlit right now... The screen dimming seems to have stopped, I have no idea why it was happening.. Ill keep track to see if it happens again

4. adpeace macrumors newbie

Are you leaning towards/away from the ambient light sensor? Or perhaps it is faulty; you can try turning it off by going to System Preferences -> Display then uncheck Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes.

5. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

Ah! that is something I was unaware of. Thanks, that might be it.

6. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

yep, turns out that was the problem, thanks for the help