13" MBP screen issue.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woz Beard, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Woz Beard macrumors regular

Woz Beard

I purchased the 2.26 13" MBP (4GB RAM) yesterday afternoon. When I came home, I set it up and started to notice a couple of streaks (.5" thick) on the right side and half of the bottom of the screen.

I have a 9C9E screen and have it tested it on the Earth (centered) wallpaper with full brightness. It tends to go away after 40% brightness.

Sorry for the bad picture. Anyone else having this issue?

Attached Files:

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Exchange it. That looks like a manufacturing defect to me, nothing that you can (or should attempt to) fix on your own.

3. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

4. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I would get that swapped out, mine has nothing like it and its definitely not acceptable for a brand new MBP

5. Woz Beard thread starter macrumors regular

Woz Beard

I returned it without a problem, however the exchange (9cbd screen) had the same problem. I decided to return it. I'm done.

Check those screens, folks!

6. klover macrumors 6502a

I have a similar issue. It's not a "streak" but a uniform (about half-inch) bar that runs up the right-hand side of the screen and is slightly lighter.

However, it only appears on the Earth desktop. On a pure black background, it's not there. I think it's part of the actual image and, depending on your individual gamma setting, becomes more or less noticeable.

7. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

i also noticed that and my screen is 9C9E
    however, i dont notice it with any other wallpaper except the globe wallpaper with display turned up high.
    does it really matter?will it get worse?

8. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

After reading this post i went and looked at my 13" macbook pro 2.53GHz bought on june 26.

I too had the line on the earth image.

so i did a little test. I made the wallpaper the "earth," then I went to a pixel testing website and brought up a pitch black screen and sized it down to about 4"X4".

i then moved the window with the black web page over the area showing the
    strip and it was not there. I moved it all up and down the strip and it was not on the black box.

the only conclusion i can make is that the strip is part of the image and NOT a defect in the LCD.

if this is the only reason you went through returning these computers, then you went through all that for nothin' sorry to say.

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If that's true it is just TOO funny.:D

10. justit macrumors 6502a

Good news, someone's going to get some perfect MBA refurbs. :D

11. emt1 macrumors 65816

I love when OCD Mac users do stupid stuff. Constantly returning products increases the cost for everyone. It's on the earth image.

Attached Files:

12. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

What's really telling is the idiots at Apple actually took them back. I'd have hoped they were a tad more knowledgeable.

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Woody Allen: "...two months ago it was a malignant melanoma. The sudden appearance of a black spot on my back."

Julie Kavner: "It was on your shirt."

Woody Allen: "How was I to know?"

14. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Yep!! I confirmed it. I opened the image in preview and sure enough. a strip running right down the right side.

there is also one running along the bottom, but the dock covers it when it is on the desktop. but yeah, 2 completely unwarranted returns.

oh well, maybe i will be one of the people that ends up with his machine through the refurb store.