13" MBP - Screen Just Went Nuts!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ndriver182, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I've had my 13" MBP since about a week after they were launched and have never had any hardware issues other than a defective key on the keyboard that was fixed by Applecare about a month ago. Well, tonight all was well when I closed the screen and when I opened it everything was green, very grainy and was jittering. I tried shutting down, restarting, resetting PRAM, but nothing works at all. I can't figure out what happened. Of course this happens on a Friday night so I have no way to call Apple tech support. I took some pics with my camera. Anybody heard of anything like this? I can't believe my luck.

How it should look vs. how it does look:
    [​IMG]

How it shouldn't look:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Oh wow, I would definitely take it back to the Genius Bar and show it to them, they should replace it.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Looks bad. Like a graphics/display issue.

Does it have original RAM in it?

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Could be the cause of an overdue past bill. ;)

But really, the GPU just failed.

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Hardcore graphics failure. That ish needs to be replaced.

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Yes, it appears to be the case but remember the MBP has shared memory for the 9400M.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Not necessarily but the RAM itself should be checked. Especially if user upgraded.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Good point. Having a mini that shares ram I would probably forget to check that first.

10. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Its not the RAM. RAM would have caused a kernel panic. Trust me. But if you want to, burn a bootable Memtest86 and run it.

11. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did upgrade to 2x2gig Crucial RAM. I still have the stock RAM and will try it tomorrow just for the sake of trying it. I did install a new 500gb hard drive as well, but I doubt that caused the issue. I had zero problems until I opened up the lid tonight after putting closing it and putting it in sleep mode for all of 5-10 minutes. Closed fine, opened broken.

12. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Make sure when you take it in to put all the stock stuff back in it.

13. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

THe 9400M uses your RAM as video RAM, so that might be the problem. Try changing to your stock RAM first and see if you have any issues..

14. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I was able to pop in the stock apple ram today and booted it up. Same unfortunate results. The laptop appears to be hosed. Now I need to swap the stock HD back in I guess and deal with apple again for the second time in a couple months on the same notebook. Geez.

15. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Hard luck. The RAM was a long shot but hopefully you didn't put all the screws back in it so the HDD swap will be a little easier.

Why does dealing with Apple always seem like an appointment with the inquisitor? Hopefully they'll swap it and not repair.

16. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, there's been a revelation. I happened to visit my parent's house this afternoon and was about to show the problem to my mom so I opened up the lid (this is all after swapping the memory even though that didn't help) and turned on the computer. The screen was the normal gray, but still had some jittering issues and grain problems, but the apple logo wasn't green. That was odd. So I opened the screen up just a little wider and then bingo! The problem totally went away.

So it looks like there's some issue going on with the connection between the LCD panel and the internals of the computer. I don't know if it's bad, loose or what, but it isn't right. This would explain why the issue started happening when opening the lid after the computer was in sleep mode. The weird part is that I baby the computer and it's never mishandled. On top of that, it's not my main computer so it usually only gets used once a day during the week for light computer usage in the evenings (some days not at all) and more often on weekends when vegging on the couch. My point is that screen doesn't go through the open/close process much at all.

Don't suppose that'll be something they could do an in-store exchange for? I bought it online from MacConnection.com on 6/9/09 and received in the mail about a week later. I just checked genius bar appts for tomorrow and I won't be able to make their times. Oh well, they wouldn't fix it there anyway. I think I'll call apple support first thing on Monday and demand a new unit right away and have it shipped to me (or arrange to pick it up at the apple store) with a temporary charge on my credit card that they'll remove when the get the other unit back. I really don't think it's fair to wait another two weeks like I did for them to fix a stupid key on the keyboard!