13" MBP should have option for video card!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apple Guru, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Apple Guru macrumors member

The 13" MBP should have the option to upgrade to a dedicated video card. I hope there do in the future!

2. auhlixer macrumors regular

Or just discrete

3. zorahk macrumors 6502

^ are you serious? discrete and dedicated are the same thing.

4. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

it will never happen at these price points.

what i am about to say is not directed to any One person.

people whine and complain for cheaper more affordable Macs.

to do that, apple makes a some compromises like intergrated graphics with no discrete option.

and then after they lower prices, people start complaining that they dont have the stuff they left to make us happy in the first place.

you have to remember that adding a GPU config is a little different than just customizing a hard drive.

to have a dedicated GPU model is pretty much awhole different computer.

new engineering, different size components, different positioning of those components inside. inventory control of those parts.

all needing a different line to build it. which adds to cost which drives the price up which brings us back to the point of people screaming that they need to make their computers more affordable.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you can find a place for it on the logic board, I will agree with you.

Until then, it's impossible.

6. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

:D

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Until you can break the laws of physics, its not going to happen.

8. timecarter macrumors newbie

Yes! I would love this two.

I guess with increased portability you get decreased performance. I love the 13 in. but I really want the 9600 for SC2.

Guess the 15 will have to do.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I doubt that you'll see anything like this. Apple still has to differentiate between the 15" and 13" Giving the GPU option, would cannibalize 15" MBP sales. There's so little difference between the tool and apple has to give you reasons to upgrade over the smaller unit, especially at the higher price point.

10. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

sc2

would that be starcraft 2 will it play on the mbp 13?

11. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

This will never happen for the following reasons:
    1. Price
    2. Heat

12. newcronos macrumors regular

Yes, I'm willing to spend a premium for a 12/13" MBP with a dedicated graphics. It probably won't happen any time soon because of the space+heat issue as have been mentioned a few times above, but I still would like to see it happen sometime in the future, somehow.

13. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

^ QFT.

If you want it, here it is, come and get it. (slight Badfinger)

AKA suck it up and buy the 15", and if your willing to pay more for the 9600M...you might as well get a larger screen with better resolution and more options.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

+1 on the heat, my 15" MBP increase by 10c when I switch to the 9600m. I find the performance of the 9400 to be more then up to the task, so I don't switch off but on those rare occasions, the temps do go up.

When running Ubuntu (and forced on the 9600), I have to manually up the fan speeds because of the increase in temps

15. c.dub macrumors member

People who ask for a discrete GPU in a 13" notebook clearly have no idea how a computer is built.

Where the hell are you going to fit the card on the logic board? How will you address the added heat?

I have seen a 12" LG notebook with a very light weight discrete GPU (obviously for heat reasons), and it was literally 2x as thick as the current MacBook Pro.

If you want a good notebook with discrete graphics, go with a 15".

16. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Remove the worthless optical drive, that would free up a lot of space.

17. Apple Guru thread starter macrumors member

Just curious to see if they would ever add that option. I know physically it's not possible. But who are we to question apples engineering skills? They have done a very good job on products we thought weren't possible.

18. impilot macrumors newbie

I don't see the point. I think most people that want/need a discreet GPU are going to want a decent size screen. I think it would be an increased cost with little use to most users.

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Of course. Plenty of wasted space there.

10.7 coming on an SD card with all ODDs having been removed from all shipping Macs at the time of release. All Apple software coming on single SD cards ranging in size from 8 to 64GB. External ODDs sold for compatibility with everyone else's software.

Oh, except for the little thing where pressing a disk is hundreds of times cheaper than SD media.:(

Steve Jobs on April 17, 2011 to the hardware engineering team: Laws of physics? Look, I didn't take a physics course in college, but I don't need one to know that I want this machine thinner with a dedicated graphics card!

New MacBook family at WWDC '11:

Sandy Bridge-based 14W 1GHz CPU with a GeForce 501 chip at 200MHz.

Upgrades to a 1.3GHz CPU and GeForce 505 GPU. :p