13" MBP small issue, I feel dumb asking...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andrew Henry, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

So I got my new MBP, installed the Intel X-25 SSD, used CCC to clone my old drive to the new one, and now everyone of the "media" buttons works except for dimming the display, and no I don't have the keyboard setting checked to use the Fn key.

I'm not really sure, I have it set to dim the display when unplugged it doesn't dim..

If anyone else has had this problem and can help me I would REALLY appreciate it.

And one more thing.. Sleep doesn't work either.. not sure why, when I close the lid it will go to sleep, and when I open it, the computer will come out of sleep but the screen won't turn off and I have to do a hard reset. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Try this:

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse. Click the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab. In the lower-right, click "Restore Defaults".

See if that works to fix the brightness issue. Not sure about the sleep problem though. What kind of Mac were you using before?

3. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately didn't work for the brightness. :(

Fresh install. I'm not sure what's going on, if I do an "Archive and Install" does that JUST keep my home directory and applications and no other settings and such?

Thanks,
    Andrew

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

This was my next suggestion. An archive and install will reinstall the operating system and all the applications. Any applications you installed will be put to the side, and won't be deleted. Also, your home folder and all of your files and preferences will be untouched.

5. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Archive and install will keep your programs and files, but will reinstall your system files. It worked wonders for me. Its worth a shot before you do an erase and install

6. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like I'll try that, CCC works great but now for some reason when I power the laptop up I have to hold Option and select the harddrive it won't automatically boot to it, so it looks like Archive and Install tomorrow morning it is.

Andrew

7. Andrew Henry thread starter macrumors 6502a

If anyone was wondering i went ahead and did an Archive and Install, everything works normally now, sleep, brightness etc.

Thanks all!

Andrew