13" MBP Sound Problems with Audio Out??? Help!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simplymuzik3, Oct 18, 2009.

1. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

I have a MBP 13" that I purchased when they were first announced. Everything has been great except for 1 problem. The problem has always been there since I got it (it was purchased online BTO). The problem has to do with the sound. When there is nothing plugged into the Audio Out, the internal speakers work perfectly, no problems at all. When I plug something into the Audio Jack, it works fine for about 1 min, then it starts to "click" and "cut in and out". So it sounds like somebody keeps pressing "mute then unmute, mute then unmute etc). Each time the audio cuts out for about 1 second and you hear a small "click" sound. On some occasions it doesnt output audio at all. The volume thing in the status bar is greyed out. I tried system prefs and everything it greyed out. This ONLY happens when I use the Audio Out port. I tried different speakers, headphone etc. I also called AppleCare and reset some stuff they told me to do over the phone. That helped for about an hour, then the problem came back. It comes to a point where you cannot even listen using headphone, I always end up using the MBP speakers. When you do a reboot it works properly for about 1 min and then it starts happening again. What could be the problem? Should I take it to the Apple Store?

Also would this count as a major problem (people say 3 problems then new computer)? I think its something with the sound card which seems pretty major to me. Can someone please share if they have anything similar! Thanks! :D

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Take it to the Apple Store. It would be major, but they have to actually fix it three times before they replace it.

3. macphobic macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem. My headphone jack just isn't working. the rest of the computer functions perfectly, but when I plug my headphones into the jack, nothing changes, the onboard speakers just stay on.

4. visibleroy, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

visibleroy macrumors newbie

this may help some of you whose audio is suddenly down:

Apple released an update to Snow Leopard today (10.6.5), available through Software Update. If you choose to do it, you'll notice that your audio is suddenly not working. Not to worry though, it's a quick fix...

(Do this only AFTER you've updated to 10.6.5 - not sure if your computer folders are as follows, but:)

Go to macpro/Snow/UD3L folder
    -Drag the "AppleHDA.kext" file onto the "Kext Utility" icon, and it will start doing it's thing.
    -Once Kext Utility has finished the process, Quit it, and reboot.

Boom. You'll have sound again.

i dunno, i did that and it worked when i restarted..;)