13" MBP SSD and Memory Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wassuupp, Oct 23, 2010.

1. wassuupp macrumors newbie

Hello Mac Folks,

I would like to upgrade the memory and HD on my 13" MBP and I am looking for suggestions on the following:

-8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    I found KTA-MB1066K2/8G at Kingston.com for $171...any other brands would you recommend and what is the best place to buy?

-256GB solid-state drive
    Which one should I buy and from where?
    What is TRIM support and does Apple OEM SSD have this?

Thanks!!! :apple:

2. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

To be fair, with the rate of SSD's being released just going off of old posts would be doing the OP a disservice. What was ranked as 'the best ssd" three months ago may now be beat by a better/cheaper alternative.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Those aren't "old posts". They're Guides. As such, they provide some good basic information. They're not intended to be the latest-breaking news on new products. The basics of RAM, drive formatting, etc. have not changed. The Guides are quite relevant.

6. wassuupp thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like NuRam for $150 is a pretty deal.

Still debating on SSD. Vertex 2 poor reviews are holding me back. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!

7. mac8867 macrumors 6502

What poor reviews on the Vertex 2? The idillix controller is fantastic.

As for Trim, not required with MacOS (not supported either). If you plan to boot to Windows 7, then trim becomes important.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you take a look at the Vertex 2 reviews, you will see that people have given either one or five stars. Those who gave one star have received defective units since they died only hours after opening the box.

SSDs are still very new technology, especially ones that are so big, like 240GB. Thus you are anyway taking the risk when buying one. I wouldn't avoid OCZ, they make brilliant product. If you get a bad one, just drop them a line and they will send you a new one.

In NewEgg. BTW, Vertex 2 uses SandForce controller

9. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

The number of adverse reviews at Newegg is unfortunate, but they are there. The automatic compilation score that Newegg uses reduces the Vertex 2 to simply "average" in their rating system.

But...I have one...and it's just great. The number of adverse reviews might be related to how popular the device has become. Those of us who do well with it never write a review, but those of us who have had to RMA will write a bad review.

The open review system is there for a reason, though, and you have to think that a business as good as Newegg will know what it is doing with allowing an open review system like that.

I use Parallels and Bootcamp, and the Vertex 2 is performing very well. If I were using Windows exclusively, I might've bought a different drive.

10. wassuupp thread starter macrumors newbie

btw, I have never heard of NuRAM...Is it reliable? Should I go with Kingston instead?

Also, which case is best for MBP 13? I read some horrible reviews about the speck and incase...seems both scratch the aluminium instead of protecting it.

Thanks! :apple:

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member