13" MBP SSD Drive advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JLeaf, Apr 15, 2010.

1. JLeaf macrumors newbie

So I'm considering upgrading to a 13" MBP from an '07 White MB, so I'll obviously see a massive improvement no matter what I get.

From what I've read here, SSDs are very much worth the price if you have an external HD for storage. I've got a 500 gb Time Capsule and keep about 70 GB on my macbook right now, and don't see myself needing too much more.

I'm hoping to not spend over 1400, so is the best choice to get the 13" MBP (with education discount) and then a 120gb SSD and install it myself? I know the Apple ones are supposed to suck. There doesn't seem to be an intel 120 GB unfortunately.

Also, does installing a new drive yourself void the warranty?

I'm going to use it for web, photo browsing, movie viewing, and some (mostly older) games. Just wondering if the 300 or so the SSD costs would be better spent somewhere else. Thanks.

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Who says they suck? Some random person here on this forum?

Did you search this forum first for info about warranties? I know I have typed "its doesnt void your warranty" at least 4 times in the last bit.

its "easy" http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_13_unibody/

$350 is the going rate for a 120 gig drive:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150636 1421439416&name=120GB

Id save your money, nothing you are doing really warrants the SSD. Yes, it will make things faster and yes, it will put a $350 hole in your wallet.

Why not wait until they come down some?

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

The hard drive upgrade is considered a "user replaceable" part.

4. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

The SSDs are great, makes everything super fast, just get it and be happy.

5. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I love my 80GB Intel. It's enough space for my needs (I use my Time Capsule drive for storage of large files I rarely need) and I can boot in under 15 seconds!