13" MBP to Sony Bravia Optical out problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by McGarvels, Sep 5, 2010.

1. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Hey guys,

So I've searched through out the forums on this topic, and I'm just not sure if I'm doing something wrong to get audio from my MBP to play through my TV speakers.

So I've connected my MBP to my Sony Bravia via a mini-dp to HDMI converter which works brilliantly. Now here comes the problem.

I've connected the MBP to the Bravia via a mini TOS link to TOS link and I get no sound. The MBP displays that the signal is now going to digital out but I don't here any sound on the TV through its speakers. Is this even possible? Sorry, but A/V stuff is not my forté. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Best,
    McG

2. bareskillz macrumors newbie

I may be wrong here, but I would assume the optical connection on your TV is output only. Hence why you are not receiving any sound output.

Dependent on when you Purchased your MBP you may be able to output the sound through the HDMI. Alternatively you can output to the TV by phono cables (3.5mm jack to red/white RCA) or go with your optical directly to an amp.

3. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

I second bareskillz that the optical on it is an output. I have a Bravia and there is no optical in because it would be pointless. The Bravia only plays stereo audio so you might as well use RCA inputs for audio. The only reason for optical is if you're plugging into a surround sound system and you wouldn't go through the tv for that.

4. McGarvels thread starter macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Thanks guys! I'll just have to go buy a nice speaker system then. ;)

Cheers,
    McG