Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tinyj316

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
So, I'm getting ready to drink the Apple Kool-Aid for the first time... I have a friend who works at an Apple store, and they have volunteered their friends and family discount to me (15%). I also can qualify for an education discount.

The difference between the two prices on the 2.53ghz 13" MBP works out to be about $125, with the friends/family discount being a better deal. The only downside is, I have to have my friend order it online, at the Apple store, while they're working, and it will be shipped to me.

My question is, how long does shipping normally take? I know I can get a better deal on AppleCare and software like iwork/ms office through the college store, but I'm wondering if the extra $125 is worth the wait

I'm a graduate student that has a number of papers due this next week, and my current windows laptop is on the outs, and my netbook isn't powerful enough to handle what I need.... I just got the money to buy the computer TODAY...

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks! The :apple: Kool-Aid will taste great!

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
See what the site says for delivery to you

But if you get the free applecare etc with student but not employee discount - get it with the studenty applecare - $125 bucks is not much really

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
If you buy stock model it takes maybe few days to come depending on carrier and where you live. If you need it now, buy it now

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Is there sales tax in your state? You may save more by going to Amazon or Power Max or somewhere out of state.

That said, if there other perks that go with the sale, then of course you have to figure that in. Apple shipping is pretty quick - and free for standard shipping.

I use the student discount or buy refurbs and use the savings to get RAM upgrades to buy AppleCare from a place like LA Computer Company. It has always worked out well for me in the past.

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Is there sales tax in your state? You may save more by going to Amazon or Power Max or somewhere out of state.
It's always amusing to see how people who can afford the Apple tax somehow can't afford sales tax. Maybe someday someone will explain how that works.

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
It's always amusing to see how people who can afford the Apple tax somehow can't afford sales tax. Maybe someday someone will explain how that works.

Simple - one can easily be avoided with a little thinking, the other is integral to the purchase!

However this guy can minimise both in a manner of speaking

apple tax -15% for ED discount
sales tax - ??% for sensible purchasing

They you go....

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL

So you never shop for the best deal on a purchase, especially a larger one? My sales tax is 8.25%. Who doesn't want to save 8.25%?

I never mentioned anything about not being able to afford it. OP mentioned price as well as delivery time. I addressed both.

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Simple - one can easily be avoided with a little thinking, the other is integral to the purchase!
Sales tax doesn't magically go away when you buy from outside your state; the burden of paying it merely passes from the seller to the buyer. Looks like a little more thinking is in order.

So you never shop for the best deal on a purchase, especially a larger one? My sales tax is 8.25%. Who doesn't want to save 8.25%?
You're not saving a measly 8.25%, you're stealing it. Don't like to pay taxes? Then go live in Antarctica.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Sales tax doesn't magically go away when you buy from outside your state; the burden of paying it merely passes from the seller to the buyer. Looks like a little more thinking is in order.

You're not saving a measly 8.25%, you're stealing it. Don't like to pay taxes? Then go live in Antarctica.

WOW! Out of line for sure. Please keep it civil and on topic and let the OP find out if there is a use tax in their state.

tinyj316

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2009
I live in Oregon, so there is no sales tax, so that makes that point moot.

As far as AppleCare goes, I don't get free AppleCare, I just get it really cheap.

I'm not sure the exact cost, but it's around $158 I think. That $125 difference would pay the majority of the AppleCare cost...

I suppose I should mention that I have ~$1600 to spend, so I want to get the best bang for my buck...

Another "perk" to buying from the school store is that I would get a free printer (no rebates) and free one on one (though I doubt I would use it).

I just don't know if the instant gratification and "freebies" are worth the premium...

jointsmoking

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
WOW! Out of line for sure. Please keep it civil and on topic and let the OP find out if there is a use tax in their state.

Actually, what he said was correct. If you have sales tax in your state, buying out of state does not excuse you from the tax and avoiding it is illegal and indeed theft.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx

No need to pay sales taxes on items like this. Don't be a sucker. While you're at it, there is no need to join the military and serve your country either. The point is, save the judgement on others. Everybody draws a line. It's up to them.

Crystal.manage

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
From where has Tax came in, and if it comes to be a discount then why not to take benefit of friend being employee there. :) :) :)

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009

I'd like to express my sympathy for you in advance for when you eventually buy a new car from a dealership.

You're in for a world of hurt with that "Heeey. It's a big purchase! What the heck, a few more bucks won't hurt!" line of reasoning.

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
I'd like to express my sympathy for you in advance for when you eventually buy a new car from a dealership.
No sympathy needed. Every car I've ever purchased, including new cars from a dealership, have been a complete non-event with no cheating and no whining or self-pity. If you find yourself hurting after a large purchase then maybe you should reconsider living within your means instead of complaining about paying the exact same taxes everyone else has somehow managed to pay. If you can't afford the tax then you can't afford the car. Do your homework ahead of time so you don't end up shocked at the final price with too much pride to reverse a overreaching transaction. Why is that so difficult to understand for some people? With this kind of logic it's no wonder we're in the middle of a housing crisis. What makes this especially annoying is that Apple is a premium luxury brand that flies directly in the face of any misguided sympathy over the cost. If you need a computer then go buy something you can afford. If you can't afford an Apple there are plenty of other computers that will still get the job done.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
The logic that says hey I'm making a big purchase what's another $100 or $1000 is what brings about bankruptcies. Nothing wrong with trying to save a buck. $100 saved is still $100 saved no matter how much you're spending otherwise.

Many folks here in the Boston area go to New Hampshire to save sales tax when they are making purchases worth the drive up there.

It doesn't mean they can't afford it. Many see the value in saving money and/or getting more for their money.

modular

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
The logic that says hey I'm making a big purchase what's another $100 or $1000 is what brings about bankruptcies. Nothing wrong with trying to save a buck. $100 saved is still $100 saved no matter how much you're spending otherwise.

Many folks here in the Boston area go to New Hampshire to save sales tax when they are making purchases worth the drive up there.

It doesn't mean they can't afford it. Many see the value in saving money and/or getting more for their money.

yup! NH doesnt have sales tax, and the mall there in NH is right on the Mass boarder. It's very much worth the 45 min drive if you're buying a something over a grand or two. I plan to buy my new mbp at the NH mall apple store, i'll save over $150 that I can then use to buy a solid state drive off of newegg - ALSO tax free!

i feel sorry for all the suckers who choose to pay sales tax!

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
The logic that says hey I'm making a big purchase what's another $100 or $1000 is what brings about bankruptcies.
Let's not go overboard here. Most bankruptcies nationwide come from an inability to repay medical bills. When was the last time you decided to tack-on an extra $100 or $1,000 to your medical bill just because?

Which explains why some state coffers are so low, because their own residents show their thanks by consciously avoiding payment for the government services they enjoy and consider cheating no different than saving. There are already so many ways to save money on electronics, including all this precious Apple gear, that there's really no need to be a tax cheat, let alone a euphemistic tax cheat. Do what you must, but let's at least be honest about what's going on here. I know most Americans don't even own a passport, but if they did they might realize that we already enjoy some of the cheapest prices for electronics anywhere in the world and that all our whining about unfair taxes makes us look spoiled and lazy.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Let's not go overboard here. Most bankruptcies nationwide come from an inability to repay medical bills. When was the last time you decided to tack-on an extra $100 or $1,000 to your medical bill just because?

Yeah let's not go overboard and say things like the housing crisis is caused by folks trying to get their Macs as cheap as possible. ;)

Or call people tax cheats for ordering a product from the internet or driving 20 minutes to buy it from another state with no-sales tax.

And since when did someone say not paying a $100 bill caused them to go bankrupt?

No someone said that the mentality to not save causes consumers to go bankrupt. And that's the logic you're advocating - "You're paying $1000 what's another $100?" That's what gets you into financial trouble. The notion that $100 isn't as much money suddenly because you're spending $1000.

Which explains why some state coffers are so low, because their own residents show their thanks by consciously avoiding payment for the government services they enjoy and consider cheating no different than saving. There are already so many ways to save money on electronics, including all this precious Apple gear, that there's really no need to be a tax cheat, let alone a euphemistic tax cheat. Do what you must, but let's at least be honest about what's going on here. I know most Americans don't even own a passport, but if they did they might realize that we already enjoy some of the cheapest prices for electronics anywhere in the world and that all our whining about unfair taxes makes us look spoiled and lazy.

Have you ever ordered a product from the internet? Then you're a tax cheat. I guess every one in America is a tax cheat.

And let's be honest state coffers are low because of the credit crisis. And the coffers are low all over. Not because joe bob ordered his Mac from the internet or got it from New Hampshire.

Work on the that logic. By your logic folks that want to save money caused the housing crisis. And by your logic a state like New Hampshire should be rolling in the money since they don't have to worry about losing sales tax money to the internet or to folks going across state lines to a no-tax state.

Talk about going overboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.