13" MBP upgrade question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gman901, Jun 10, 2009.

1. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I posted my question in another forum, but I wasn't clear. Is the 128 SSD upgrade a good deal over the included 5400 rpm 250 GB? Has anyone else upgraded to this SSD and do you have any regrets? Thanks!

2. Chozo macrumors member

Personally, I don't think any SSDs are worth it right now. You get less space, pay more and (from what I have heard) higher failure rates.

All for a few seconds more of speed? Meh.

3. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Best upgrade ever for me (Intel X25-M 80GB). It makes my machine scream. When I put the 5400 hd back in my 2.4ghz Macbook it feels sluggish. The difference is night and day!

4. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

i cant speak for the apple ssd upgrade but i put a ocz vertex in my macbook and it is great!

it was the most noticeable upgrade to a computer ive done..ever.

i cant see myself going back to a spinning hard drive

5. errol macrumors 6502

errol

With FW800 in the new MBP's, having an internal SSD makes more sense. You can buy a more affordable, smaller capacity drive which is cheaper and run an external FW800 drive.

6. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! That's what I was thinking with the 128 ssd...just getting a firewire ext drive would be good for my movies and larger items. Most of what I have on my current unibody MB are just movies anyway. Do you know if Windows 7 RC would be able to play PC games off the external firewire drive?

7. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, sorry for changing the subject,but one of the IT guys that works here told me that the SSD is a great option except the price. He also told me that the SSD will run slower than the 5400 rpm drive. I am totally confused because I thought the advantage of the SSD is that it is also extremely fast. I was getting the 128 SSD from Apple, because I do not want to deal with opening up new MBP to install it. Is this really the case with SSDs that Apple is installing?:confused:

8. Chozo macrumors member

No. Your IT guy is an idiot.

9. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, he actually sounded very convincing - he was going on about the standard SSDs have much slower write speeds and that Windows has some sort of accelerator to help the performance of the SSDs. He said some SSDs have 2-3 times the performance of the standard SSDs, like the Runcores. I would be completely angry if the SSD that comes with the new Macbooks turns out to be slower.

10. xxnoelziexx macrumors member

Do not purchase SSD drives from Apple there the slowest out of the bunch.
    I have had 2 months testing different SSD drives. I made that mistake when I bought a macbook pro last month = Toshiba drive / slow and expensive

Best ones
    (Intel X25-M 80GB) Fantastic performance with the latest firmware fixed all issues too.
    (OCZ Vertex 120GB) Mine did have a lot sleep problems with all my macs I tested it. It would often crash when coming out of sleep apart from that it run so quick, I tended to shutdown rather than sleep as boot up was around 30ish seconds to desktop.

The smaller Samsung drives are on the cheap but offer excellent bang for your buck
    MMCRE64G5MPP-0VA00 MLC
    - Capacity: 64GB
    - Read: Up to 90MB/sec
    - Write: Up to 70MB/sec
    - NAND Flash: Multi-Level Cell (MLC)

If your budget can strech a bit more get there newer version
    better read and writes.

MMCRE64G5MXP-OVB (Samsung PB22-J )
    - Capacity: 64GB
    - Read: Up to 220MB/sec
    - Write: Up to 120MB/sec
    - NAND Flash: Multi-Level Cell (MLC)

11. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I don't think there is any chance of an SSD being slower than your 5400rpm drive tbh. I agree with the other guy - Your IT guy is an idiot.

12. g3funk macrumors member

g3funk

Most of us are...you gotta really dig through the moron wash to get to someone who knows absolutely anything...it is rediculous.

13. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the information. If the Apple SSD is the slowest one, how would it compare to a user replaceable 7200 2.5 drive in terms of speed, i.e. write/read, and I am talking about comparing those the factory installed one. Will I still see a big difference? I am tempted to cancel my custom order.

14. DS28 macrumors newbie

Are the SSDs available for the MacBook/MacBook Pro a SATA or PATA interface? I'm ordering one for work via Apple so if it's worth it, I'd like to go for the SSD but PATA would make me reconsider.

15. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Again, thanks for all the great information! I canceled my order and plan to wait for the next update. Hopefully it will have a discrete gpu!