13' MBP Upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kauai, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

So I finally made a choice and have decided I'll go ahead and get the 13' MBP to tide me over till I get my iMac and then use it as my portable.

I've been looking into some upgrades I could do though, looking to stay below 200$. I'm fairly sure I could do all of these fairly easily, especially with all the how to guides online, but are there any caveats that perhaps you more seasoned Mac upgradees would know? :)

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/YST9750420AS/

I'm thinking about putting this HDD from OWC into it in order to upgrade to 7200 rpm and also triple the storage capacity. (For less than Apple's 500gb 5400 rpm HDD) I would keep the other HDD to switch back into the MBP incase I ever need to send it to Apple -- will there be any problems with this configuration?

And then I'll probably upgrade the RAM to 6gb. But there shouldn't be any problems with that, unless having a 2gb and 4gb stick together will create problems.

Thanks guys, this forum has been such a big help on my journey into Machood. :p

I may get a very small SSD to boot from somewhere down the line...But I'll probably cross that road whenever I decide to sell this model and buy a new MBP. I don't want to spend too much on an outgoing processor.

2. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

nope no problems. You don't really need to keep the hard drive anymore to send it back. 2+4 gb is fine, it just wont run as dual channel memory.

3. Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, so replacing the HDD/RAM won't invalidate my warranty / eventual Applecare?

4. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

5. smc333 macrumors regular

You're making a good choice.

I just put a 7200 RPM HDD in my MBP last night and there's a noticable difference. Just waiting on my 8GB of OWC RAM to come in.