13" MBP v 13" Dell Vostro 1320

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emilyland1326, Jun 26, 2009.

1. emilyland1326 macrumors newbie

So there's only a marginal difference (both ways) between these two machines in terms of specs after I've customized them, but the low-end Dell is $260NZD cheaper...

MBP 13":
    CPU: 2.26GHz
    HD: 250GB @ 5400rpm
    RAM: 4GB DDR3
    Battery: equiv 9-cell
    Price: $2,257NZD (N.B. upgrading myself and selling stock HD and RAM)

Dell Vostro 1320
    CPU: 2.1GHz
    HD: 250GB @ 7200rpm
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    Battery: 9-cell
    Price: $1998.63NZD (N.B. $2336.13 if CPU is upgraded to 2.4GHz)

I know that pretty much everybody here uses a Mac, but honest opinion, what do you think of this comparison in terms of the price:spec ratio? If you think one deal is better than the other, please give reasons. Thanks!

2. mike1123 macrumors 6502

It really comes down to one question: do you want to use Windows or OS X? The MBP has faster memory (not too important), and although they have equivalent battery sizes, I'd be willing to bet that the MBP gets much better battery life due to the design.

3. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I have a Vostro 1000 and I don't like it. I have a Macbook Pro and I like it.

Get a MacBook.

4. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Actually, the price you have is with the

Mobile Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator X4500MHD With Black color, graphics card.

Comes up to $2,279.88 with a NVIDIA(R) GeForce 9300M 256MB With Black Color witch I think is more comparable to the mbp's 9400m. Fairly sure the 9300 is the dedicated version of the 9400, with 256mb. Essentially the dell has dedicated graphics and a faster hard drive versus the mbp's marginaly faster cpu and ram.

If you compare strictly the specs, you can get a better deal than the mbp. Heck, you could also just get the internals, put them in a cardboard box and run a good Linux distro and save a lot.

I personally don't really like the looks of the vostro, not to mention how bulky it would be with the humongous 9-cell battery. But in the end it all comes down to the OS.

5. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Get the MBP and get a free iPod Touch and printer

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Not really (Think about it).

Personally, while I'm a fan of Dell's customer service I hate their build quality in their notebooks. Of course I didn't know any better until I got a mac.

Also, I'm not sure if this has changed but Dell's 9 volt batteries seem to stick out like a sore thumb and always looked like an engineering afterthought to me.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Wow, I've never heard one person on this earth accept you ever say they were a FAN of Dell's customer service. All my friends that have Dell's (which are only a few) hate their service.

8. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

All the times I've called Apple Care I've gotten someone who spoke english very clearly. All the times I've called Dell Care (?) I've gotten someone who spoke english with heavy indian accents where words could be understood as a number of different ones. Maybe once or twice I had an english speaking person.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I always purchase the complete care warranties on all the dell laptops I buy.
    There customer service has drastically improved from 3 years ago.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

When was the last time you called?

11. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Seriously, are these posters being sponsored by Microsoft? Is this Laptop Hunters? :confused:

Features / Spec Ratio?! How about Dell Vostro running OS X or the build quality?

If the O.P doesn't know why the Apple product is better than get a Dell and join Neowin.

12. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

That hasn't been my experience. I bought a quad Inspiron a while back - many problems during shipping. I was assigned my very own relations representative. She called me every evening at 8pm to check on me for 5 days.

On 2 other machines I've had techs show up on my doorstep to do on-site repairs.

Recently I had problems setting up a wireless printer on a Studio laptop... nothing but red carpet treatment.

All this being said though doesn't mean beans if somebody else writes the OS. This is one of the biggest reasons I dropped PC's. Apple does both - one stop shop for all my computing needs - as it should be - end of story.

13. RDM3 macrumors regular

This has been mentioned but I think it comes down to either wanting OSX or Windows. An added bonus is not having to get Antivirus software :D

14. crzdmniac macrumors regular

I've had some serious issues with Dell's support. They were always able to get a tech out to me quickly, but there were several times that wrong parts were ordered. On top of that I've actually had them do more damage than good (when replacing a bottom case/swapping the bottom case the tech didn't put the CMOS back in). The build quality was awful on the XPS M1330, I cannot for the life of me believe that this is(was?) a premium system.

15. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

16. Joyblossom macrumors newbie

Well you can get the macbook pro and run both OSX and Xp or vista.:D

17. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I would say, buy the Mac. It has two graphics cards, and the general build quality is much better. The Windows computer is one of Dell's identically designed computers that are like all of the others: you buy it, then something breaks, and then you go back to Dell Support to find that your warranty has expired. Buy the Mac.

18. RDM3 macrumors regular

GOOD POINT!

19. fpnc macrumors 68000

No, the 13" MacBook Pro has a single graphics "card" -- the NVIDIA 9400M.

20. emilyland1326 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies.

What most people seem to be saying is that it comes down to OSX or XP (I hate Vista), and tbh its not much of a dealbreaker to me coz I'm perfectly fine using either. Sure iLife has nice features, but its not something I depend on since I've gotten by pretty fine on my old comps, and even though Windows has not been problem-free for me, I doubt the Mac is foolproof either.

As for the graphics card, I am not an intensive gamer, nor do I do graphic design, so again, its not a dealbreaker.

Having said that, after looking at some pictures of the Vostro, while it is fine in terms of specs, there is no freaking way I'm carrying anything that chunky around. I never noticed on the Dell site, but after finding a review with pictures showing how thick it actually is....

Oh, and with regard to customer service, maybe its just me but I have NEVER needed to take any of my laptops in for repairs or problems, unless you're suggesting I would need to for a mac ;).

Anyway, thanks again!

21. RDM3 macrumors regular

I think you will be happy with a Mac, I have never had any issues nor had to call customer service, so if you treat it well and take care of it you will be fine.

22. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

The Vostro is in a completely different league than the macbook pro 13". The Vostro is Dell's value line and the macbook pro is the Pro line. It's premium. For such a small difference in price, you're much better off going with the macbook pro.

23. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

You're jinxed for sure now. Make sure you get applecare and increase your homeowner's insurance coverage.

24. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Apple last week, Dell once three months ago and many times about two years ago.