13" MBP v.s. 13" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fugue, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Fugue macrumors 6502

Let's take baseline models of both. From what I read the MBA scores around 5,400 on Geekbench whilst the MBP a 5,900.

Is the air so close in performance to the pro? What if you outfit the pro with an SSD? How much faster would it be than the 13" air?

I am wondering if I should switch to the air if the performance gap is so narrow.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

What do you use it for?

The MBP is at least slightly upgradeable; the MBA is not. Hence, the MBP seems more likely to be useful for a longer period.

However:

Most users would never notice the difference between the two, in fact most users would have not notice a difference between the current MBP and the first 2.26 GHz 13" MBP.

3. Driver8 macrumors newbie

4. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Were you planning on the 128GB SSD 13" Air?

It depends what you want, basically that Macbook Air would be 50 bucks more (CAD) for ultra portability, though still below the performance of the Pro.

It's a trade off between portability and ultra portability, and some performance. Personally, I wouldn't do it since it would involve me having to sell the Pro and spend that much more getting the Air.

5. M Powered macrumors regular

Get the i7 13". If you care so much about the score, yours will be close to 7k, so a little ahead of the game. Add an extra 4gig of ram and you'll be that much further ahead :)