13" MBP - Very slow with Aperture

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swamesp, May 15, 2012.

1. swamesp macrumors regular

Hello all,

I have 2010, 13" MBP (2.4Ghz core2Duo, 250GB (45GB free) and 4GB RAM. While using Aperture (i think it's version 3.0) the system is dead slow.

I'm an amateur photographer looking to move into using RAW processing and I find my MBP being terribly slow while importing or processing JPEG which I currently use on my DSLR.

Would you guys suggest to put in new HDD and change RAM to 8GB? Will these two help to speed up Aperture?

What is the suggested ways of using aperture lib, place the "photos" in E-HDD or on the internal disk? I currently have all my photos on the internal drive.

Thanks

2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I run Aperture on my MBP with 8GB of RAM and an SSD and I don't have a problem. Adding some more RAM maybe beneficial to you and its dead cheap to do. You could also consider adding an SSD or 7200RPM drive and that should speed up the rendering a bit for you.

3. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, any suggested brand of RAMs?

For HDD, I'm looking at 750GB, 7200 rpm Western Digital. Personal experience with WD drives so far has been very good.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have 8gb of ram as well and my 13"MBP is fine with aperture

5. swamesp thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, RAM upgrade seems to make more sense. Which brand would you suggest?

While using aperture, do you folks put them in E-HDD or internal?

Which results more speed while using FW800 port + 7200 rpm external or 7200 rpm internal?