13" MBP vs 13" rMBP vs 15" rMBP Weight

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loon3y, Nov 4, 2014.

1. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

I have to travel a lot and have to carry a bunch of other stuff with me (2 mouses, phone, international phone, ipod+creditcard/barcode sleeve, too many cables, portable wi-fi router, external mobile battery, android device, paperwork, iPad, ethernet cable, power outlet adaptor, external hard drive, flash drive, chargers ,etc, etc)

with my back pack (my personal preference isn't to have a roller backpack as I'm fairly young and i like my hershel backpack)

Right now i have a 13" MBP, would that 1 pound difference from using the 13" rMBP help?

if it does I'm going to go with the 13" rMBP, if not I'm just going to get the 15" rMBP.

on a side note, i don't think upgrading from the Air to the Air 2 would help much, but i do think it did get a bit lighter when i changed from my iPad 3 to the Air. or is it placebo?

any thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My thoughts - only you can determine of the weight difference will matter to you. Especially as you lug it around all the time.

If you don't mind the smaller screen then get the 13", I'd opt for the rMBP over the cMBP, you get better hardware.

3. newellj macrumors 603

It made a big difference for me. I was surprised how noticeable it was. Air vs. Air 2 difference is about the same as a couple of quarters.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Seconded

Me too it sometimes feels like my laptop bag is empty...

5. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

think I'm going with the 13" rMBP, might wait till 2015 incase they come out with a space grey :D

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Be prepared to wait for a while, since the 2015 model won't roll out until Intel releases Broadwell. If a color change is your only reason (not sure if you're joking), then I'd not wait. I doubt they'll do that :)

7. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

haha well of course not its not just for the color, but a space grey MBP would be badass.

i want the broadwell, but i hear too much that it isn't going to be a huge upgrade until the next chip, i forgot what it was called, i think it started with an L? life something?

this computer is for work, if the weight difference isn't much then id just get a 15" since its already well worth the money while the 13" not so much.

although i am gonna get some games for it, if i get the 15" i won't be gaming as much, and certainly not the high end games on my gaming rig.

ill be more productive on business trips. lol. as silly as it seems.