13" MBP vs 15" MBP... Which one should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SR71, Jun 13, 2012.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

So, I'm looking at buying myself a MacBook Pro but I don't know if I should go for the 13" or 15" MBP. Which do you guys think is the better buy, and why?

Thanks!

2. Liquinn Suspended

3. MisterSensitive macrumors regular

What do you intend to use it for?

How important is portability?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It all depends on your budget, usage and plans. Do you want a smaller laptop that is a bit more mobile, or do you want a 15" display that makes the laptop heavier? The 15" has a better GPU so if you're playing games or need something that is demanding us such then the 15" makes sense

If you use photoshop, or other apps like that, then I'd say the 15" because of screen real estate.

There's no right or wrong answer and depending how you'll be using it, will dictate which model to go too.

If you're just surfing the net, email, and what not then yeah the 13" will be fine

5. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Ignoring the vagueness on your situation...

Get the 13" if it's going to used for organizing music, browsing the web, and typing papers. Matter of fact, you could also get the Air if you're doing this. It just occurred to me while writing this sentence, but anyone who is looking at the 13" MBP would be well suited with the MBA.

Anyway, the 15" has the quad core processor and upgraded graphics so anything involving processing heavy data, working with video and photos, or if you just want the larger screen.

6. iHorny macrumors newbie

Should I get the 15" over the 13" if I'm looking to not only type papers, browse the web, listen to music, but also to do things like play some games like gta, sims? I also like to convert movies format, rip movies, unzipping large files etc... I know that the 13" can do this but would the 15" perform these significantly faster than the 13" cause of the quad core processor?

I could also do with the larger screen for watching movies and I need it to last me for 4-5 years at least... So should I get the 15" MacBook pro base low end model? That's the best I can get at the moment but may upgrade ram to 8gb and get a 256gb ssd after a year or 2..but my main question is whether it will have much faster speed than 13" pro with 8gb ram and ssd in it when ripping movies, unzipping large files or converting large movie formats etc..?

How's the portability compared to the 13" too? I would not be bringing it around that much, occassionally when I travel I'd bring it on the plane?

7. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

As far as the movies ripping/zipping, etc., there shouldn't be a huge difference between the two. IMO it'd be a small enough difference to not even be a factor. However, you said games such a GTA and sims, and if gaming is pretty important to you, definitely go for the 15''. If gaming is only a small priority, however, I think the 13'' would be better.

Portability: For whatever reason, the 13'' is just a lot easier to carry around. I can't really figure out why, but it's like a very noticeable difference. I definitely think that should factor into your decision.

As someone else said, anyone considering the 13'' MBP is a good candidate for the 13'' Air as well. The SSD is a lot more noticeable (A LOT) than the processor bump. Sounds like the disc drive is important for you ripping movies, but there's always external.

Sounds like you're leaning towards the 15'', but I'd reconsider. Doesn't sound like you'll be using a lot of processor intensive applications, which is really where you will notice the difference between 13/15. If you decide gaming is very important, though, I wouldn't look at getting anything other than the 15''.

8. PEN10k macrumors regular

I've had a 15" and now I'm on a 13", because portability is quiet important for me, since I'm a student. I carry around my computer every day, and imo. it got a lot easier and better since I went down to the 13" last year.

About performance there will obviously quiet a difference. But at the same time, the 13" has been able to do all the tasks that I want to do on a laptop.

In some occasions I think some people might underestimate the performance of a 13" MBP. I don't say that it can handle tasks like heavy video editing, graphic intensive gaming etc. but it is able to handle these tasks, on a lower level.
    Some just use it for internet, music, movies and etc., but it's really able to handle a bit heavier stuff than just that.
    I speak out of own experience. Of course there different takes on it, but here is my take. :)

9. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

The 13". It's what I'm used to and is more portable than the 15".

10. iHorny macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input from you guys.. Now it seems like its between 13 air and 13 pro... Assuming I get i5, 8gb of ram and 500gb hdd for 13" pro and i5/8/256SSD for 13" air, would pro rip movies/ convert formats/ zippin much faster cause it's more powerful? Or does both also have minimal difference in time needed to perform such tasks?

Also gaming is just a small priority, just when I'm bored since I use consoles. Can the air handle that? And I will have lots of typing when school reopens, possibly 5hours a day for an entire week. This is my largest, largest concern because I keep getting the feeling that this thin machine will start wearing out before I use it for around 4years... Obviously I don't know the true power an air holds, so could someone tell me if it could do that?

11. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

I ended up getting the 13" Pro. It's a beast of a machine, and I plan on upgrading it with 8GB of RAM (possibly 16GB) and a 512GB SSD once the prices drop to around $300-$350 (they're at $400 at the moment, but were on sale earlier this month for $350).

Once I do these upgrades, this thing will be able to handle anything I throw at it. I can't wait! I'm starting off with the RAM upgrade in a couple of days. Wish me luck, although I shouldn't need it considering upgrading the RAM is one of the easiest projects. :)

You will not regret buying the Pro, its an incredible machine, and with all the possible upgrades you can do to it, I think it's better than the Air (although not in terms of portability). Even with an HDD and only 4GB of RAM this thing is FAST! You won't regret it.

P.S. You also have 14 days to see if you like it. If you don't, just return it and get an air. Simple as that. :apple: