Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
i think this review really changed my perspective on the 15" MBP...

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-15-inch-2009.aspx?page=1

i might just buy the one from aafes:
Apple® MacBook Pro (MB986LL/A) 15.4" Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.8GHz 500GB Notebook
Price...$2,265.00 (for some reason...cheaper...and no tax)

another question (yes...another :eek:)...how much of a difference will i notice between 6MB shared L2 cache vs 3MB? this is one area of cpus i still don't quite grasp the way it works for you...

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
for what its worth
im using my 13" 2.4ghz (october release) macbook with a 23 inch display that has a resolution of 2048 x 1152 (higher resolution than the 1920 monitor). this is using the mini display port to DVI adapter. its the regular one, NOT the dual link adapter that costs $100

1080p video playback can get choppy at times but only if im running stuff in the background. if the only thing im doing is watching video it looks fine.

jedijoe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Boulder, CO
another question (yes...another :eek:)...how much of a difference will i notice between 6MB shared L2 cache vs 3MB? this is one area of cpus i still don't quite grasp the way it works for you...

ppl will probably argue both ways on this.

I am a computer science PhD student in parallel computing, and in my experience, 6MB is most certainly better than 3MB, especially in things like photoshop and multi-threaded apps. I mean, there is a breaking point where more cache won't make any difference, but 6MB is NOT that limit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.