13" MBP won't shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jband, May 5, 2011.

1. jband macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's a mid 2010 MBP. I'm not sure what factors might be at play so I'll just list what I was doing before I tried turning it off. I turned the notebook on about 3 hours ago, the Internet works intermittently since my router is dying but while it was working I tried visiting macrumors. Halfway through loading the page the I lost Internet so I tried plugging it in directly to the modem and I realized the bar that contains the airport and battery was non responsive so I shut it down.

Right now, as it has been doing for the past hour, it is stuck at the blue shutdown screen. The little rotating loading thing is still rotating. Should I just wait for the battery to run out or what? Any help would be appreciated!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds, until it shuts off. Then power it back on.

3. jband thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks. Is there a particular reason it did it though?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Who knows? I wouldn't worry about it, unless it happens frequently.

5. jband thread starter macrumors newbie

Other than a normal shutdown time of about 3 minutes it's been turning off well. I'll just relax and revive this thread if the problem arises more frequently.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If shutdowns normally take a long time, open Activity Monitor to see if you have an app that's hanging. It shouldn't take 3 minutes to shut down under normal circumstances. Also, try closing all apps before shutting down, to see how long it takes.

7. jband thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I messed with some and got the shutdown time to 30 seconds. Thanks :)