13" Mbp..?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Santabean2000, May 25, 2009.

1. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Hello All.

I am in need of a new notebook and have been patiently waiting for Arrandale to enter the MB/MBP range. All the while I've been contemplating what model would best suit my needs, (and wants).

Then the recent article re. the rebranding of the MB range raised in my mind the possibility of there being a new 13" MBP.

a) Who else would buy this in a heart beat?

b) What would you want in it?

and

c) Realistically, (if it were to happen), what would it actually get spec wise?

I'm desperate for the smaller form factor, (have 12"PB), but would like the non-gloss higher quality screen, and no optical bay - small SSD as boot drive instead.

What do you think?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

imo there is no need for a 13in mbp
    what exactly do you want? firewire? theres the white mb

a dedicated card? well the integrted solution is not really a slouch either

3. Santabean2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Yep, firewire for sure. 3G? Integrated + dedicated graphics, higher quality screen, unibody design, SSD + HDD. But with the portability of the smaller form factor.:cool:

4. aleni macrumors 68000

high quality screen. 1440x900 in 13".

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Now we're talking...

The MacBook lacks in screen quality. If it had more pixels/better screen, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

6. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

For all intents and purposes the screen is not that bad. On a side note, have you seen the new screens surfacing in recent UMB? They look a lot better.

7. Santabean2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Yep, still glossy though. Don't mind them too much, not professional requirement for me, but I'm just not a fan of extra reflections and would prefer non-g option a-la the 17".

Anyone else ready to forgo the optical bay; I practically never use it on the notebook - esp when compared to how often another hard drive bay would be.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the supposed secret screen update to the mb's reinforce the rebranding rumor?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you look at the specs of the MacBook, you'll see that the only major difference between a MB and MBP is the GPU (and a better display panel).

I almost bought a MB over a MBP but in the end, the dual GPU won me over because I aperture that needs a powerful GPU.

All in all, I think the odds of a 13" MBP are 0, because the difference between a MB and MBP is so slim. Apple has stated they had to eliminate the firewire ports in the MB because there was no room. IF that was the case, then a 13" MBP wouldn't have any FW ports as well, again blurring the lines between a MB and MBP.

If you want the smaller form factor, get the MB, if you need FW, or dual GPU support get the MBP. Both are excellent computers and both will fill the need.

10. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

...I want it. An eSATA port would make things nice as well.

I don't see them coming out with a UniMBP in a 13" though...:(

CrackBookPro:cool:

11. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

...yes, the Graphics processor's dedicated memory in a MBP.

Graphics Card(s), and the GPU usage is a huge difference b/w the MB and the MBP.

CrackBookPro:cool:

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...the 13" UMBP is already here... its a re-branding of the UMB... nothing will change (only :apple: knows the truth)...