13" MBr issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmarts, Oct 26, 2013.

1. mrmarts, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

mrmarts macrumors 65816

Hey guys

I must have a bad luck , I just sold my 15" retina which had issues and decided to go for something smaller a late 2013 13" MacBook retina. Sadly I am experiencing two problems:

1) A memory leakage it seems to be using a lot of ram I.e when I was installing diablo 3 with all apps closed the MacBook was using 7.97 GB. Generally the memory is low on boot up approx. 3.5GB but than starts increasing when I open a few web browser tabs and iTunes it gets up 5gb. FYI even if I force quit all apps I do not gain much ram.

2) When I am watching a iTunes movie in full screen i sometimes see a small part of screen stutter and even bring up a grey line like the picture below.

Do you think these issues are software or hardware related? is there a fault with my new MacBook!

Attached Files:

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Software & hardware.

It's a new machine & a new OS so that means lots of issues that will be fixed with firmware updates & software updates.

3. waldpet macrumors newbie

Un-used RAM is wasted RAM. Ive found my late-2013 rMBP with 8gb uses at least 70% of its RAM all the time. Go more by the 'memory pressure' chart in Activity Monitor.

4. mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone have any ideas about the itunes glitches in full screen

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

that looks almost like a video card issue , since its hd4000/5000 its highly unlikely a bad video card.

hows the temperature of the laptop ?

As for diablo III , the installer alone uses 4-5gb of my ram , poorly coded.

6. Gintoki-kun macrumors newbie

7. mrmarts, Oct 26, 2013

mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

The temperature is fine, FYI the MacBook uses an iris pro 5000hd given its a Late 2013 model. Can anything be done to solve the iTunes glitch? (besides me preforming an exorcism on the beast) , Do I have to wait for a firmware update or should I get in touch with apple!

I am having a gut feeling I did a mistake going for a 13", I like the size and I wanted to use it for everyday things movies, surfing the net, uni work, email and some games like blizzard, but the ram usage and the video issues are annoying.

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

can you post a screen shot of activity monitor under the memory.

9. roblin macrumors regular

10. mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

I can but I am in bed ATM it's 12.45 am Australian time I will do it first thing in the morning is there any other screenshots you need?

11. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

mainly just the memory , throwing the disk one in to wouldn't hurt.

its 11 in the morning here....so ill check back late tonight.

12. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Read John Siracusa's review and comments on memory:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/os-x-10-9/17/

I'm sure that your system is fine regarding point 1.

13. mrmarts, Oct 26, 2013

As promised here is a screenshot of memory usage under activity monitor, I am now trying to make a video to capture the video issue better hopefully i can post that soon. Lets hope that my 27" iMac on order has no issues after nearly a month of patiently waiting :eek:.

Update: The grey lines i posted in the picture above seem to come and go when i minimise and reopen the iTunes window in full screen, also when I exit iTunes i notice some brief flash movements on the desktop for 2 seconds, I am about to reinstall OSX Mavericks in a hope that it can solve the problem.

Just reinstalled OSX Mavericks its seems the Macbook is using more memory now, with safari only open using a single browser, the memory is at 4.28gb. I have taken another screenshot with just mono snap and the Mac App Store open downloading a few apps, and as you can see I am using over 7GB of ram. I haven't tried the iTunes issues yet, but i will keep you posted.

14. mrmarts, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

I have posted a several second video showing how the screen flickers while watching a movie the cursor in full screen. it happens 2 seconds within the clip on the right hand side of the screen. I get these glitches every time i move the cursor when the play menu disappears and reappears with cursor movement. http://videobam.com/BqxMY I also noticed slight flicker while watching driver in the top view shot of the city, and as i speak my memory is back up to 7.50 with just iTunes and safari open.

15. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

In time..

Just give it time, in time, shortly - any time now.

Wow that was like a fortune cookie huh? Well unlike fortune cookies that don't actually happen, the above will.

It is supposed to happen when people are 'early adopters' of so called "latest and greatest".

Mine is already exhibiting issues as well, so I just brought it into the store today and they had another sitting there un-opened and un-claimed, so it was mine.

Gonna see how long it will be till something happens again. We'll not hold our breaths. If this happens enough times eventually I'll just get a new notebook free - yay capitalist society and over consumerism human planet ! ^_^

16. mrmarts, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

What issues was your macbook exhibiting is it a splurging of ram or the same video issues i get in iTunes?. As far as i can remember my late 2012 15" retina did not chow down on that much ram.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

mavericks uses ram even when u hardly do anything.
    watch the memory pressure chart. urs is perfectly fine.
    i got 7.8gb memory usage of total 8gb just running safari:)

18. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

For me - safari still jittery and no matter how much i try to turn off in the system and what ever apps I try to get rid of, something is always lagging. I wish these updates just update optimal features and all the excess apps be downloadable on their store, rather than like what MS does and the machine comes with hundreds of things I'll NEVER use?

I swear, it is a notebook computer, it isn't just a day time organizer, we need to get out of that trend already that is so 1980's man! Just give me a powerful notebook that computes, not all these reminder apps and sharing apps and social media apps - ick!!!!!

19. mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

Firstly thanks guys for the feedback on memory usage, I have now come to the conclusion that my MacBooks memory is operating at a normal usage rate. However the iTunes issue is still unresolved, even after a clean install of OSX Mavericks the problem still persists (with a grey flickering box dominating the black areas of the widescreen movie, whilst if i move the cursor it lags and a portion of the screen flickers).

I rang up Apple and they are investigating the issue, however in the meantime heres a quick video showing the issue when I watch a movie in full screen. http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/mrmarts/story/22475#media-player

20. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

I hate to be the bearer of bad new's , but that looks like a bad video card.

all your memory screenshots seem ok.

have you tried playing a game ? , this should push the graphics card and any issues should surface.

21. mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

I have played sim city for a few minutes it seemed fine. It is not effecting the desktop only iTunes ATM. I hope I get a replacement as it is a pain to see a movie with that grey flicker .

22. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

well i am now noticing a flicker when using iTunes....no grey bar but flickering on the iTunes program.

really odd....may be software related.

23. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

return it for now because of hardware problem.