13" Mid 2010 Battery Not Recognized, what to do now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeepman69, Mar 18, 2013.

1. jeepman69, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

jeepman69 macrumors newbie

I have a 13" A1278 Mid 2010 2.4Ghz. It is a Craigslist purchase, and got it for a very good price, but hope I can fix it to make a great deal.

Symptoms:
    1. It will only turn on when connected to Magsafe (see #2), and I have two known good adapters, and it is the same symptom for both.
    2. Every now and then, I can disconnect the magsafe, and the system will still run even though it says battery not available. We have done this as long as 1 1/2 hours, even with fan running high speed, and no power adapter connected.
    3. Other times, when disconnecting magsafe, the system will immediately shutdown, and then it does a full boot next time I turn it on.
    4. The magsafe LED always stays green, never seen it amber, or turned off, when connected.
    5. SMC reset does not appear to happen, or at least the magsafe LED stays green the complete time. I also did the SMC reset with disconnecting magsafe, and battery connector after removing bottom plate.
    6. Fan runs loud after booting up. The first 20 seconds of booting I cannot hear the fan, but after that, the fan is always running, and the air is not warm, so really doesn't need to run that high speed.
    7. The system was obviously dropped based on a corner with indentations from hitting Asphalt, and the LCD has some directional lines showing a shift in the crystals.
    8. One of the battery tri wing screw flanges has a crack, possibly from the force of the drop because the tri wing does not appear to ever have had a driver in it.
    9. I have not tried a different battery yet since I am waiting on a tri wing screwdriver.
    10. Coconut Battery also shows no battery info.

Question: Do any of these symptoms indicate a pure SMC issue, combo issue, or who knows, and what are good next steps please? Thanks.

2. jeepman69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone think I should try and join the Class Action lawsuit for Logic Board Issues filed in Texas? It seems it is difficult to get info on the case, and where it is at in the process. I bet class action lawsuits take a long time to settle too.

3. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Perhaps you might consider asking the seller for your money back, before you consider suing Apple over a computer that has obviously been dropped and damaged.

4. jeepman69 thread starter macrumors newbie

It could have been dropped out of sheer frustration with Apple's known SMC and Logic Board issues. :D

But seriously, Craigslist does have a down side of no "Magnuson–Moss" type of coverage, so that idea is out. Anyways, I certainly would like to fix it myself, but it seems I hijacked my own thread. I will keep quiet about any legal recourse I discover, and focus on trying any suggestions for fixing.