13" Mid 2010 MBP Service Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EchoSierra, Jan 19, 2016.

1. EchoSierra macrumors newbie

On my 13" Mid 2010 MBP running 10.10.5 Yosemite, I'm getting a service battery indicator. I've tried resetting SMC and NVRAM to see if that was the issue, but it was not. I installed coconutBattery to get some info.

It's saying I'm running at 75.3% of design capacity (maximum charge of 4346mAh, design capacity is 5770mAh) with 584 cycles. System profiler is showing the same as far as number of cycles.

This battery was replaced back in 2012 under AppleCare when the original battery had a similar problem. (Service Battery indicator, Apple store ran a diagnosis and it was in the yellow around 400 cycles)

Is this definitely a battery problem? Is it just simply getting old? (It's over 3 years old at this point) Or can there be some sort of hardware/software cause? I've recently replaced the HDD and the optical drive with SSDs (1TB Samsung 850 EVO in the main drive bay, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO in the optical bay)

If the battery is the problem, should I continue to use this battery until it's closer to dead, or should I replace it right away?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's the battery they last between 3 & 5 years yours has started to die.

I would replace it if you want to keep using the computer, dying computer batteries can swell causing significant damage to your macs internals, they may even burst and that will almost certainly ruin it.