13 Mid 2010 slow SSD performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jerrykur, Nov 29, 2013.

1. jerrykur macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was running a benchmark on my MB mid 2010 with a Samsung SSD. The benchmark topped out at around 260 MB/sec of read and 200 MB/sec on write. Based on reviews of the drive (Samsung 830) this seems slow. Does this model have a slow SATA controller?

Thanks,

Jerry

2. alex0002 macrumors 6502

The 13 inch Mid 2010 MBP uses a SATA-II interface which has a max speed of 3Gb/s with 8b/10b coding =300MB/s.

But no one gets a full 300MB/s with SATA-II just like no one gets 600MB/s with SATA-III. Those read/write speeds are probably quite o.k. for a SATA-II notebook. In any case, for the vast majority of users, small random file transfer speeds are much more important than the sequential read/write speeds that people tend to quote from benchmark programs.

3. jerrykur thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Alex. I thought I remembered something about the SATA being slower. But even with the "slower" SSD this thing is night and days better than when it only had a hybrid drive.

4. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I just bought a Samsung Evo SSD for my 2010 13" MBP - should be here tomorrow! I'm glad to hear you are liking the upgrade. I still have the original HDD, so I'm hoping for a marked contrast.

(I was intending to get a new Mac notebook, but... I just couldn't decide between the 13" or 15" and waffled and tested at the Apple store two or three times. Ugh! When I saw the 500GB Evo drop below $300 that was the magic number for some reason and I decided to see if I could pep this computer up for a while longer.... see if any future Apple offerings trip my trigger more than they do now.)