13 million iPod Touches sold

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by firewood, Mar 21, 2009.

1. firewood macrumors 604

IIRC, last week, Apple said that 30 million total devices running the iPhone OS had been sold, but only 17 million of them were iPhones. The rest, I assume, were iPod Touches.

2. brax.j macrumors regular

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

lol wow.

Yes, 13 million iTouch's (referring to brax's sig :D ) have been sold so far... isn't it cool?

4. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

I am not surprised at how many zillions of iPod touch have been sold. They are so great. I could not resist getting a 2nd gen one for the "casual listening" external audio. Great for TV shows and movies. Now I crave some gizmo about the size of a Griffin FM transmitter for my earlier iPod touches, except it would be a little external speaker grille that you just plug into the dock... is there such a thing I wonder... yah i know, this belongs in some other forum probably. Past my bedtime, sorry for the half-hijack, g'night...

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Looks like a great number, but remember that many are on their second one after their first one failed for some reason. It means only one sale for two touches in those cases. I don't know what pecentage are replaced under warranty, but any percent is significant. Of 5 people I know with Touches, two are using repacements. Not a scientific sample, but if you extrapolate that 20% to 13 million it means only 10.4 million out there are still working. Some of the defective were surely resold as refurbs after being repaired, but that's another unknown number. Just fleshing out the significance.

What to do about it? Write an iPhone/Touch app that every iPhone/Touch owner wants. Charge them $1.43 each, and however much money you make (before taxes) will give you a useful number for how many are out there and working. Make 20 million dollars? That means 20 million iPhone or Touch owners bought your app. It also means you can quit your day job. ;)

6. whrocky5092 macrumors newbie

these little devices are very open and useful. they would sell more if it was a little less expensive

7. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Wait a second. That's like saying they'd have sold more G4 powerbooks if they hadn't been so expensive. The reason they sold so many of those was that they were great machines (and sure, they were expensive, and sure, they still work).

I have three iPod touch (2 old, 1 new) and they all still work fine. I gave two for gifts. They work fine too. So that's five good ones out of five purchases in my anecdotal experience of iPod touch sales.

And well of course it would be great if a 32GB iPod touch went for a hundred bucks or something like that. But then it wouldn't be what it is, and perhaps the next great thing coming out of Apple's imagination and engineering wouldn't be afforded enough budget to turn out well. When we buy those cool Apple things we are paying for more than the innards of whatever is the current product. We are paying to keep the designers and engineers on board as well, working on the products of the future. Seems worth it to me so far!

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

No, it would still be a 32gb Touch. Apple would have sold 5 times as many, and made the exact same net profit on hardware. Then they would quintuple their profits from apps and Music sold to Touch owners. Apple could sell them for a loss and still make money you see, as a Touch isn't desirable but for it's App store. They could even charge $399 but include a $150 credit in the iTunes store you could spend on accessories, music, or apps. The Touch is a money machine. Even if only 50% of 13,000owners pay $9.95 to upgrade to 3.0 it's still 65ish million profit for Apple.