13" MPB Screen hinge assembly help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacKid1983, Nov 8, 2011.

1. MacKid1983, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

MacKid1983 macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

Can anyone recommend a legit site to purchase a new display for my 13' MBP. I was looking at Ebay but not sure.

The screen needs to be replaced because of the loose hinge. Apple wants an arm and a leg (out of wty).

Video included of my screen. http://youtu.be/xO_QDFTHNUg?hd=1

2. teksurv macrumors regular

Silly question, but have you taken off the bottom plate and tightened the hinge screws? The same ifixit.com noted above has step by step instructions with photos to assist.

3. MacKid1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

Teksurv...

I did that still loose. What is loose on my mac is the hinges inside the black clutch cover. I saw on the ifixit site you can take the black clutch cover off to get to the screws. There is even instructions on how to replace the left and right clutch hinges.

I will try this today...Question is: are the screws loose, or is the actual "hinge" failed and needs to be replaced. And if so Where do I get a new hinge.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2009-Left-Clutch-Hinge/6021/7

I like how Apple lies and says you have to replace the entire display! What a waste. If this site shows you can get to the screws, why cant they? lol.

4. jwhazel macrumors regular

This is a generalization:

Loose hinges: lots of slop back and forth, similar to your video. Needs tightened under the clutch cover.
    Failing hinges: opening and closing feels loose, display "falls" shut when opened about 20 degrees or opens past about 70. Need replaced.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "Apple" didn't tell you that, just some misinformed employee who works there. Happens with every company. Of course I haven't seen your laptop. Maybe there is damage under the clutch cover that warrants a new display.

5. MacKid1983, Nov 8, 2011

MacKid1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

Jwhazel...

So I followed ifixit.com's instructions and disassembled my Macbook. It was fairly easy. Until I go to the last screw in this step.... (Photo Below; but is from ifixit.com's site) The damn thing was STRIPPED. (circled in red the very outer one)

I need to go buy a new plastic clutch... but also and most importantly, have to figure out how in the hell to remove that stripped screw.

Any advice how to remove that stripped screw, I tried needle nose pliers, still too big. What shall I do? ugh..

[​IMG]

6. jwhazel macrumors regular

a.) keep working it with the needle nose. I have a special one that sort of has a C shape to the end of it that grabs the screw head better and twists it

b.) take a file/dremel/etc.. and etch a slot across the top so you can use a flat head screw driver

c.) I have a set of these which work well:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-pc-screw-out-trade-damaged-screw-remover-set/p-00952154000P

d.) drill out the center until the head pops off, then use a pair of needle nose to twist the shank out. Try to match the screw at a hardware store or just run with 2 screws, one on the outer and one in the middle. Perfectly okay to do that

e.) take the next size up torx (T-7?) and put in the screw. Carefully hammer down on it while twisting in an attempt to bite. Hammering will also help looses a seized screw.

7. MacKid1983, Nov 8, 2011

MacKid1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

Thanks for the info..... Will the Dremel to etch out a slot work on this tiny of a screw?

This is the actual screw.... its a mess.

Attached Files:

8. jwhazel, Nov 8, 2011

jwhazel macrumors regular

Sure. If you have the cutting wheel attachment and a steady hand. You should be able to slice a nice groove parallel to the rear edge of the case. I have to emphasize option E first. Even if it doesn't work, hammering it will help break the threads loose for when you do finally get a grip on it. If you do decide to cut, I recommend wearing glasses and have a can of air to blow away all the dust it will produce.

Trust me, I've seen way worse.

Edit: once you get everything out, it helps to have the display open at about 50 degrees. This way it just lifts right out up and out of the case. You may have to put one screw back in each of the hinges in order to open it. Getting the clutch cover off and tightening the screws is extremely easy. Just take it slow and pay attention to how the clutch slides off.

9. altecXP macrumors 65816

Every macbook/pro I've sent for display work to Apple has had the whole lid replaced.

10. jwhazel macrumors regular

If theres something actually wrong with the display assembly, then yes. I'm an ACMT. If I can fix the hinges without replacing the assembly, I will. I'm sure theres a hand full of apple employees who don't know any better. Theres a whole section in the technician guide dedicated to re-aligning and tightening the hinges on these.

11. MacKid1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

MacKid1983

I got it out!!! Hammered the torx bit and turned back and forth and it came up.

New Clutch display on it's way, hinge tightened saved myself about $500.00 :)