13" new Macbook - should i have SSD ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by olihope, May 15, 2010.

1. olihope macrumors newbie

Hello,

I bought MacBook Pro 13.3" yesterday, and i want to ask - should i go to 7200 hdd or new ssd ?

I watched ssd about 100GB, but i know:
    - Mas OSX Leopard Snow 12GB
    - Adobe Mastter Collection CS5 20GB
    - Music on iTunes 30GB
    - Some tv shows 10GB
    - Some webdesign files, photoshop files etc.... 10GB
    Finally: 82GB, and i think, this it's too small ssd to get in Macbook.

If spped of 5400 is 100%, how many % have 7200 hdd and SSD hdd
    Whitch ssd it's best for mcbook ? (intel,kingston ...) ? Because a lot of peoples written that ssd from intel but some kingston have better writing and reading...

Thanks

2. vty macrumors member

I have a bunch of apps (i stupidly installed ilife to it not realizing how large ilife was) on my 50gb SSD and it's around 32gb right now. No mp3s or anything, they're all on my optibay HDD 250gb.

Definitely get the SSD if you can afford it, not even a question. If you need disk space also, get an optibay conversion and put your stock drive in it.

You don't need your music and tv shows on an SSD.

3. shadygrove macrumors regular

I would get a minimum 256gb SSD with all that stuff. My definitely slows down when it's close to capacity. I don't have any adobe products installed on this machine, as they all need too much space. I recommend a SSD to anyone who can afford it. But if you can't afford a 256gb SSD, I would opt for the HD.

I would never go back to a HD again...they are just way too slow. But if you have to have the space, then there isn't much you can do if you can't afford a big SSD.

4. olihope thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys,

what is optibox ? remove mechanic and replace it with hdd ? (lost warranty ?)

So, if i don't have much than 250 euro, i can't buy ssd 256gb, will be 7200 hdd middle good way or stay at 5400 ?

What (classic hdd) is good for mac, no noisy, no hot etc
    thanks

5. shadygrove macrumors regular

Some will disagree, but if I didn't have a SSD I would just got for a 5200 RPM to avoid the extra heat and decreased battery life. I would just go with the standard HD and save my money for future upgrades or get 8Gb of memory. All HD's are slow in comparison to a good SSD, so I would spend my money in other upgrades and not waste it another slow HD.

6. vty macrumors member

Optibay is your optical disc bay (superdrive). You can buy a cage for $49 to remove the superdrive and mount your stock hDD; or any laptop HDD for that matter. Then you can run your OSX off of a smaller SSD and enjoy the benefits of cheap performance (cheap being relative to the amount of performance gain!).

7. olihope thread starter macrumors newbie

good solution, but i need superdrive for dvds

and what classic hdd is't the best for no noisy, no big temperature etc...

8. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I just bought the 2010 Macbook Pro 2.66 13" and I first went from the 5400 RPM hard drive to a 7200 RPM... SLIGHTLY faster... so I yanked that and put in a 256GB SSD drive... OMG OMG OMG OMG SCREEEEAMING FAST! Like when it boots it lights up and everything is loaded, no wait. I've had every mac since 2000 and done every upgrade known to man and the SSD upgrade was 10x more effective than any upgrade I've ever done.

For the cherry on top, I upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8GB... so now I have a 13" (the 15" is just too big to be ultra portable - don't care to hear your comments if you disagree then it's because you don't travel much)... anyhow so the 13" 2.66 ghz, 8gb ram, 256 mb SSD, that's a dream machine. Total cost was like $2600, but i kept the old HD and old RAM so i can just transfer them to my new one in 6 months and retain the $$ i spent on upgrades.

People say "not worth the money" ... Generally people say that if they don't have the money.... but in response, if I didn't have the money and I had to do it over again, I'd but a 3 year old macbook and spend the difference on a SSD drive. Once you go SSD you'll never ever go back.

9. piwi macrumors regular

If you need the superdrive you can still put it in an external enclosure and use it over USB.
    An optibay allows you to fit a 2.5" HDD instead of the superdrive so you can buy a small HDD for the OS and put a massive mechanical HDD for the rest of your stuff (MP3, movies etc)
    Doing so would cost you about 230$ for an 80Gb Intel X25-M (it seems it's the best thing around for now), add an extra 25$ for an optibay (via eBay) and another 25$ for a USB enclosure to put your superdrive in.
    This is what I am attempting, just waiting for the parts. I won't use the superdrive though because I already bought a Samsung USB DVD burner a while back since the superdrive totally sucks at burning medias not sold by Apple.