13' non retina macbookpro vs 13 Retina macbookpro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Konyx, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Konyx macrumors newbie

Hello mac rumors community!

I just sold my chunky windows laptop in order to buy something a whole lot more portable for university.

I definitely only want a 13 inch for size and price reasons. I have eliminated the air and narrowed it down between either the base model 13 inch retina or the 13inch regular macbook pro (either models). However I'd like some advice before purchasing 1 of these. I'm currently leaning towards the retina.

I will primarily be using the device for word processing for university. I also take a programming course that currently primarily programs in python. I would also do all the recreational tasks on it such as: watch movies, listen to music, internet etc.

My question is to all you Macbook enthusiast is what would be the best option between the 2 Macbook pros. My main concerns for the retina is the fact I'm restricted to 128gb SSD, will that be enough with the addition of an external?

Thank you for your time! :D

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I don't know what python is but for your other needs, the regular one will suffice. Both have the same graphics chip too. The retina will definitely look prettier and it will be lighter for better portability. If I were you, I would get the retina but only use the 128 for apps and main stuff. I'd get an external USB 3 hard drive and store my movies and pictures on it.

An alternative would be to get the regular MBP and use the money you save to buy an internal SSD, take out the optical drive, and have two hard drives for use. SSD for programs and regular hard drive for movies and other stuff.

I would get the retina though and since you want portability, the size and weight may make a difference.

3. Efrem macrumors regular

Go to the nearest Apple store or store that sells Macs, bring up Word or Pages on both of them, and see how it looks. I can tell you what I thought when I did that for the 15" size, but that was for my application, not WP; you don't have my eyes, and you don't have my preferences, and you want a different screen size. You are the only judge of whether the difference is worth it.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

you are not restricted to a 128gb ssd. they have 13" rMBP with 256 gb ssds in stock in the Apple stores. You can custom order 512 or 768 gb as well.

5. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

even a g3 ibook would work great for word processing, but for python I would got with a retina display notebook

6. pmcneil macrumors newbie

I'm in a similar position as you and was debating between the 13" rMBP, non-retina MBP and 13" MBAir. My feature preferences were:

Portability
    Screen Real Estate
    Ability to handle multiple processes with out decreasing performance

I went to the Apple store, compared all 3 models and I felt that the rMBP definitely had more screen real estate than both other the MBP and MBAir.
    Additionally, the MBP's have 8GB of ram + the SSD that makes it similar in size to the MBAir.

Finally, I felt like going with 13" rMBP, with the 8GB RAM made me feel like it would be able to run applications longer into the future (2-3 years down the road), opposed to the MBAir.

If you can afford to purchase the rMBP, I'd probably suggest that over the non-retina MBP and MBAir.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have been checking out a 13" rMBP w/8gb ram and 256 gb ssd...it looks like an excellent machine for $1699.

8. troy14 macrumors 6502a

13 inch retina macbook pro definitely. I had a 13 inch regular macbook pro and sold it for the 13 air... returned the air and the 13 inch retina is just as light / thin / compact (i also like it better as it is the same thickness/width everywhre unlike the taper of the air).... no regrets. also faster with the 8gb ram, and the screen is 1000000x better!!