13' NTB vs 2015 15' ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmebbk, Nov 24, 2016.

1. jmebbk macrumors regular

I'm really stuck with this
    I'm a Sociology student and most of th time I write essays etc....
    However I do prefer the bigger screen...

I don't really want to buy a separate monitor because my room isn't that big....

People say the USB C is the way forward and with the 2015 15' MacBook not having the USB C, it's not very future proof.

2. dexterie macrumors regular

dexterie

A friend of mine was in that same situation.
    Buy what makes you happy. The 2015 15" is a great machine and will give you better CPU, bigger display and all the ports that you might need *now*
    The NTB 13" 2016 will be lighter, with a slightly better display (not that noticeable if you're not into media editing...and it's not like the 15" isn't great!) and many dongles for the foreseable future and a better battery life.

And not to mention that the 2015 version is a more proven model... all the possible quality issues were scraped by now.

just my 2cents

3. vddobrev macrumors 6502

4. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I'm going back and fourth on this
    The 2016 non touchbar is more future proof tho
    Can the 2015' last for 5 years with no USB C port
    --- Post Merged, Nov 24, 2016 ---
    Why

5. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Of course it can. The cables aren't going anywhere, it's just you'll see more hardware taking advantage of USB-C. You can of course just get USB to USB-C adapters...

6. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

That's true I suppose
    Probably in 5 years time USB C will be more universal

7. vddobrev macrumors 6502

Because you said it yourself:

You will mostly benefit from a larger screen. If I were you, I would get the 2015 15" without the dGPU.

8. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean without the dgpu

9. monkeydax macrumors 6502

Without a doubt, just get the 15", unless portability is 100% key and veto factor. The 15" has a much more powerful processor, larger screen real estate. That being said, if you're just writing essays and processor power doesn't matter to you, go ahead and get the more portable newer 2016 mac, with the benefit of the nicer screen, speakers, with the uncertainty of your preference for the new keyboard.

10. dexterie, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016

dexterie macrumors regular

dexterie

the 2015 15" had different configurations. you could have with or without dGPU (discrete/dedicated graphics card). Apple removed that option anyway. You can only buy the one with the integrated chip (which is still a bit better than the 540 on the 13" 2016 NTB).

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You are effectively convincing yourself to believe in nonsense. You will be able to find usb accessories for the next 5 years, not just USB C. You don't sound like you'll need to buy many accessories or peripheral devices. Early on, you'll find way more of the old style usb. If anyone brings up serial port vs usb, they're full of crap. It happened at a time when computers were changing very quickly and serial port was already a bad solution.

dGPU means discrete gpu. Apple had a lot of problems with discrete gpus. My 2011 went through 3 logic boards. The first lasted 3.5 years. The replacements lasted 6 months to a year before showing problems. If you have the option, buy one without a discrete gpu. Apple does a terrible job of implementing them. You can also find black friday deals on the 2015. I saw one for $1700. You might be able to find a better one. Apple still charges $2000.

It will not be universal. You're making ridiculous assumptions. You also don't spec a laptop for what will happen 5 years from now. Your battery may not last that long. I've had macbook pro batteries swell up around the 3 year mark. I haven't seen it so much with the retina macbook pros though. It's a first generation item, and those have been less reliable. The original rmbp had issues with screen delamination and some gpu deaths. Buy based on what might change within a year from now, not within 5 years. That is just ridiculous. If it's an issue of cost, then you're spending too much and should reexamine your budget.

12. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Well for the next 2-3 years you will have a lot less hassle with USB-A.

Unless your planning to replace all the stuff you own with USB-C you will have more issues with the new laptop. 95% of my gear is USB-A and there is zero reason to replace it cause of a plug .... most things I am buying are USB 2 these days ....with USB 3 becoming more common.

When you see PC desktops dropping USB-A ....is the time to switch.

I've been an early adopter of FW, mini display port, TB etc.... trust me the new MacBook will probably be replaced before USB-C is universal . Many many people still use USB-A 1 Devices .
    --- Post Merged, Nov 25, 2016 ---
    Good advice.

At one stage I bought into the hype that iMacs and MacBook pros were excellent built machines that could handle gaming .

I killed an iMac and 2 MacBook pros, while fantastic designs they cannot handle the heat produced over extended sessions pushing the cpu/gpu. They are just too thin to remove the excess heat.

13. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to sound like a dummy but does the one in the Apple Store give you the option to buy one without a discrete gpu?

14. dexterie macrumors regular

dexterie

it's the only option there. you get the Intel Iris Pro Graphics integrated. vddobrev mentioned the dGPU because you can still find the model with the dGPU in some stores...

15. monkeydax macrumors 6502

Yes, but only for the 2015 model.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You don't sound like a dummy. I phrase things a little harshly at times. It's easy to get enraptured in the details of a new purchase, but it's not necessarily in your best interest.

The (brick and mortar) Apple Store probably carries the $1999 model. That one is from 2015. It still uses a haswell cpu as Apple didn't implement broadwell. While that's a good place to try it out, you should be able to purchase one for less money using Black Friday sales.

For what it's worth, if I was buying a 15" macbook pro today, I would buy that one. I don't trust Apple's first generation stuff. Others have reported early problems with a variety of things, some of which can be corrected by software patches. For example some backup software was causing kernel panics, which is certainly a low level software or driver issue somewhere. Some people reported gpu problems, but it's unclear whether these are discrete gpu problems. They could be skylake problems. The touchbar just looks like another potential point of failure to me.

It might be worth seeing how you like the keyboard. The newest macbook pro design has a different keyboard. Some reviews are favorable, but they reduced key travel again.

17. vddobrev macrumors 6502

18. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you
    I think I've got it.....
    http://www.apple.com/uk-edu/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MJLQ2B/A&step=config#
    So this model is okay?

19. dexterie macrumors regular

dexterie

The link leads to a generic page. In any case, there's only one 2015 15" model available from their website, with config of processors. And I guess you'll be fine with the base one (or maybe upgrade to the 2.5 Ghz). But maybe someone else will have a better insight. :)

20. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

But the one on the website doesn't come with the bad gpu that I shouldn't buy lol?

21. dexterie macrumors regular

dexterie

No. Apple doesn't sell the "bad" GPU model anymore for the 2015 Macbook Pro :)
    You'll get the integrated card.

22. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

How mobile do you expect to be with this? If I were a student today, I'd imagine I'd be carrying my laptop with me everywhere - and that would tip the scales heavily towards portability. The difference in effective screen size between the two devices is quite small - less than 15% additional work area if you run the 13" at 1680x1050 and the 15" at 1920x1200 - while the 13" model is 1.5lbs lighter than last year's 15", with a much smaller footprint. The smaller one will be much more manageable to carry with you, pull out and use at class, in the library, at a cafe, etc.

23. jmebbk thread starter macrumors regular

It's going to sit on my desk which is why I'm going for the 15' I think
    I hope I don't regret it!
    The touchbar model is too expensive so will get the 2015'

24. monkeydax macrumors 6502

Won't regret for sure!

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think he was looking for members to provide details of what is better, instead of a +1 for a particular model.