13" ntMBP or iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ClemTiger0408, Dec 18, 2016.

1. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

Both my 2010 MBA and iPad mini 2 are really showing their age. I can no longer edit photos on my MBA and just browsing on Safari is slow. I'd like to replace both eventually but can only do one right now.

I know it's crazy to look ahead to the (probably) 2017 MBP but my logic is maybe a major redesign in year one and a solid upgrade in components for year two.

On the other hand, my iPad usage is fairly casual and I still can't really edit my personal photos on the iPad. But I was considering getting the iPad Pro.

Both the iPad and the MBP have some decent deals right now and I'd like to get one. Should I save a little cash and get the next iteration of MBP and an iPad now or get the MBP now?

2. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

The MBA is that slow already? Whats the config?

3. ClemTiger0408 thread starter macrumors 6502

Late 2010.
    1.6Ghz Core 2 Duo
    4GB Ram
    GeForce 320M

4. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

I thought that year they had 8gb of RAM available. If you chose that when you bought it you'd still be flying.

IF you're short on $$ I would just upgrade the iPad, there are crazy $125 off specials (probably ending today) at Bestbuy and to upgrade the laptop with the prices of the new MBP it's going to get pricey. Unless you went with a 2015 MBP spec. Not sure what your budget is.

5. kis macrumors 65816

What you're saying, overall, doesn't make too much sense, sorry.

1. There won't be a major redesign next year - they've just introduced the current model for crying out loud.
    2. Where do you find "decent deals" for the current-gen 2016 MBP?

My advice: forget about the iPad Pro. I've had both the 12" version and the 9.7" and they don't do more than your iPad Mini except that the screen is bigger. They're still standard iPads with the same limited mobile OS. Editing photos on them in theory could work, with the problem being that you can't really get your photos on them as they don't have an accessible file system. I was very enthusiastic about the Pros but in my opinion, they're only good for watching netflix and occasionally letting your kids doodle on them. Unless you draw a lot and feel the need to do so electronically.

I'd go with the 2016 Macbook Pro if you're married to macOS - it's a decent machine and will do what you need it to, but it's also overpriced and not very flexible. If you don't care too much about the OS, check out the cheaper Surface Pro 4, which will give you the best of both worlds: touch screen, an excellent stylus and enough power to run Lightroom and Photoshop.

6. erichui84 macrumors newbie

You are wrong. The core 2 duo wouldn't have 8GB ram available even as option. I know because my 2011 MBA 13inch with the i5 sandy bridge processor doesn't have the option to get 8GB ram when it came out either. I am still using my 4GB RAM 2011 MBA at this moment.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 19, 2016 ---
    to the OP, getting the iPad Pro isn't going to help you using with your computing needs.

If you can't even edit a photo properly and it is letting you down then I would seriously consider getting a new laptop instead.

Remember that something better is always going to be around the corner soon.

7. ClemTiger0408 thread starter macrumors 6502

1. I didn't mean a physical redesign. Apple will sometimes be somewhat light on specs for a new redesign but version 2+ within that redesign will see a bigger jump in internal components. People seem to like the physical design of the ntMBP but are disappointed in its power.

2. Best Buy has the ntMBP 2016 for $125 off. $1375 if my memory serves.