13" options...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fisherking, Nov 13, 2011.

1. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

yes, i know...everyone posts the same questions.
    but i DO want some opinions, so here goes:

am weighing this:

13" i5 mbp, 256g ssd, 8g ram
    or
    13" i7 mbp, 500g 7200rpm drive, 8g ram

both come to about the same price (the i7 option is about $20 more).
    my main app is Logic. i use the adobe apps, the usual surfing etc.
    but Logic is critical.

my audio 'pro' says the 7200rpm drive is the way to go, but...
    am open to the ssd. i want speed, power (just like everyone else LOL).
    the HD size is less important (i archive a lot of files on an external HD).

opinions? thx peeps!

2. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

You realize you can have the best of both worlds: speed and storage. Swap out the optical drive and put the HD there. 128GB SSD + 500GB HDD. When it comes to the MacBook 13-inch, it's almost always better to take the cheaper model, a matter of diminishing returns. As you have noticed, the money saved could be put towards an aftermarket upgrade.

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Why not a baseline 15"? I recommend baseline 13" 128SSD from Apple, then aftermarket 8GB memory. Or you can buy baseline 13" then aftermarket the SSD+memory.

4. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

DO NOT buy the upgraded memory (RAM) from Apple, WAY overpriced. You can get 8GB for $40-$50 and install yourself.

5. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Your audio pro sounds like someone that hasn't ever used an SSD. First off, you never write project files to the same disk as your OS and Software is running off if you can avoid doing so. The SSD will far outperform the 7200 HD. I guarantee you that if you could run both machines side by side with Logic running the i5+SSD would outperform. Even comparing all other variables even, the difference between the i5 and i7 on the 13"s is negligible.

To concur with another poster, don't buy the RAM upgrade from Apple if you are the one paying for it. They are still charging way too much.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

SSD. The i7 is a bit faster, but the performance gain from a SSD should be much more notable.

I have no experience with Logic.

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I don't see the option for a 13" with a 500GB/7200RPM drive. For the i7 it's a 750GB/5400RPM drive or an SSD.

Anyway, the i5 with SSD and 8GB of RAM from Apple is $2000.

You can find a 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM kit on Newegg for $350 - 400. Add that to the base i7 model and you're still below $2000.

So that's the best performance/price option.

IMO the i7 isn't really worth it, so I'd probably just save some cash and go with the base 13" + SSD + 8GB of RAM. The money you save could be put towards a larger SSD, if you're interested in that.

8. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

fisherking

my budgeting included 3rd party ssd, ram...would DEF not get these from apple.

i don't record here, i only MIX on my mac; am on a 2008 macbook, mixing records for real. so any change will be for the better. (i AM using the internal drive for everything).

right now (LOL, tomorrow may be different), the i5 and a 256g ssd seems the way to go.

thanx people, love this community (in a non-sexual, unromantic way, of course) :D