Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd be keen to see if the 13" throttles badly or not.
The issue, is that the 13" is now a quad core, so while its an i5 as opposed to an i7, its in a smaller enclosure, so I think it could be dealing with similar issues. Being an owner of the 15" I've really not followed any 13" laptop news, so I'm making an assumption

Reactions: macintoshmac

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
In the past 4 years, through work, I've had both a 13" and 15" MacBook Pro, the latest being the 13". I'm a software engineer so I'm not using the computer for video editing or anything like that. I can tell you that while I initially missed the larger screen (and quad-core CPU, I guess) when going to a 13", I've not looked back. I immediately loved the smaller form factor of the 13". For any meaningful work where I want lots of things displayed I don't find a 15" to be that much better. I'll always go for using an external monitor for stuff like that if possible. Also, for the work I do, I really have no problems with the 13". I make the most of Spaces, fullscreen apps, etc.

In summary, the 13", in my opinion, is much less cumbersome and easier to use in different places (led on the sofa, travelling, etc.). I was due to buy my own this year and I was really hoping we'd get quad-core CPUs in the 13". Now that we have that, I ordered a 13" i7 with 16 GB RAM and I can't wait to get it in a few days. To me, it's the best of both worlds. That said, I'm glad both models exist so everyone has something to fit their requirements. :)

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
In the past 4 years, through work, I've had both a 13" and 15" MacBook Pro, the latest being the 13". I'm a software engineer so I'm not using the computer for video editing or anything like that. I can tell you that while I initially missed the larger screen (and quad-core CPU, I guess) when going to a 13", I've not looked back. I immediately loved the smaller form factor of the 13". For any meaningful work where I want lots of things displayed I don't find a 15" to be that much better. I'll always go for using an external monitor for stuff like that if possible. Also, for the work I do, I really have no problems with the 13". I make the most of Spaces, fullscreen apps, etc.

In summary, the 13", in my opinion, is much less cumbersome and easier to use in different places (led on the sofa, travelling, etc.). I was due to buy my own this year and I was really hoping we'd get quad-core CPUs in the 13". Now that we have that, I ordered a 13" i7 with 16 GB RAM and I can't wait to get it in a few days. To me, it's the best of both worlds. That said, I'm glad both models exist so everyone has something to fit their requirements. :)
I probably would have got the 13" model if I wasn't also keeping my 12" MacBook. The MacBook I can take anywhere with me; the MBP will spend most of its time on my desk attached to my LG UltraFine 4K display.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
$400 difference gets you:
1. 6 Core v 4
2. Faster DDR4 RAM
3. dGPU
4. Larger Screen
While everyone should of course make their own decisions based on their own priorities, here's some comments: ( :) )
1: Apple uses multithreaded processors, so two logical cores per physical core; 8 threads vs. 12; 8 threads will get you pretty far most of the time. Also most everyday tasks don't benefit noticeably from 6c/12t vs. "only" 4c/8t, and lower core count processors (of the same class) tend to have higher base clocks and also higher turbo clocks, which can actually speed up single or low threadcount workloads. Also also; if you regularly do heavy lifting on a laptop to the point where you actually need 6 cores/12 threads, you're probably soon going to wish you bought a desktop computer instead... :) Macbooks throttle easily, and the fans whine annoyingly when going full tilt, plus they get kinda hot.

2: the 13" has the 128MB "crystalwell" L4 chip, which largely negates any performance deficit versus DDR4, and may even be a substantial boon in some workloads. Only certain types of workloads which are extremely memory access heavy will overrun the 128MB L4 and bottleneck on the somewhat slower DDR3. You probably won't be doing much large matrix multiplication work or similar on a laptop though... Memory speed is rarely a major limiting factor, due to the efficient caches of modern microprocessors and the way software usually strives to take advantage of the same, for performance reasons.

3: the dGPU of the 15" MBP is relatively slow and easily bumps its head against the thermal limits of the chassis, but yeah, it is faster than the intel iGPU.

4: larger, heavier chassis too. The 13" is less than 75% the volume of the 15" and roughly half a kilogram lighter.

Do you know how much smaller and lighter the 15" MacBook Pro is compared to the 2011 15" MacBook Pro?
Dunno 15", but the 13" 2011 and 2018 models differ well over 1cm in both width and depth, and more than half a centimeter in heigth (2018 being the smaller, naturally :)); I haven't investigated exactly how much - couldn't be bothered to look up the exact dimensions of my old 2011 model, I just used a measuring tape to get some rough estimates.

I could imagine the 15" version is similarly smaller.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The other thing i really like about the 13" machines is that if you want fast charging, you can buy a 15" charger and use that.

If you have a 15", there is no bigger charger you can hook up to it.
[doublepost=1532485105][/doublepost]

This is pretty much the conclusion i came to after 20 years of using various form factors from various brands (not just Mac laptops).

The larger notebooks are more powerful than 12-13" machines, sure. But they aren't powerful enough to replace a desktop for me and they run loud and hot when doing hard work, which also requires AC power or you get about an hour of battery doing it. So they're in this awkward situation where they're good for if you need a semi-portable workstation (to move from desk to desk). But they're nowhere near as good as a desktop for that and much more expensive for what you get.

IF the 13" machines can keep the CPU running reasonably cool, a thunderbolt box may be the compromise. You can lug one of those if you have to in a bag or whatever to use at a desk when you get to the destination, but in transit, on the go, etc. the 13" machines are just so much easier to live with.

YMMV if you just need a 15" for the screen real estate rather than the processing power of course...

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
The other thing i really like about the 13" machines is that if you want fast charging, you can buy a 15" charger and use that.

On a related note, probably a more practical advantage of the 13" requiring less Wattage is that 87W type-C PD is really rare, and 60W is much easier to be found on 3rd party chargers / power banks / hubs / docks / monitors / PCI enclosures.

The 13" (along with 12"rMB) are truly mobile in that sense, you can charge them like an iDevice on a travel with no access to electricity if you are well prepared.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
The 13" (along with 12"rMB) are truly mobile in that sense, you can charge them like an iDevice on a travel with no access to electricity if you are well prepared.

Indeed, that is what I did on a recent 3 day trip, took a fully charged MBP and then used this to charge it a bit when it got low and I was done. :p Did not carry the wall charger at all.

Attachments

• HTB163tqHXXXXXbqaXXXq6xXFXXXm.jpg
    HTB163tqHXXXXXbqaXXXq6xXFXXXm.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 253

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Indeed, that is what I did on a recent 3 day trip, took a fully charged MBP and then used this to charge it a bit when it got low and I was done. :p Did not carry the wall charger at all.
I got this tank instead. iPhone X, iPad Pro 10.5", Nintendo Switch / MBP all can feed off it, at the same time. Must have lasted 2 days before needing recharge.
26166484_1600489930034358_6855879413640910168_n.jpg

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH TO GET!!! i am currently using a 2011 MacBook Pro, but want to start using Final Cut. I run a vlog so i want to make sure the computer will be powerful enough and future proof. What size and configuration do you guys think is best suited for me?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH TO GET!!! i am currently using a 2011 MacBook Pro, but want to start using Final Cut. I run a vlog so i want to make sure the computer will be powerful enough and future proof. What size and configuration do you guys think is best suited for me?

Nothing is future proof. My previous machine was a macbook pro 2011. The 13" from 2015 was an upgrade in terms of performance for most things. I can edit video on it. 1080p is fine. 4k maybe different, but i don't have any 4k cameras.

Maybe go play with some in the apple store.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
What size and configuration do you guys think is best suited for me?
Hoo boy... :D I can't really decide what YOU should buy, heh, but from what little you mention it seems you don't have that high requirements, so one of the cheaper models should probably serve you well. Then you should consider how portable you need your laptop to be - the 13" is considerably smaller, and its screen is noticeably smaller too which to some people feels cramped. Personally I want as much portability as I can get in a laptop and still have it fully capable (because I have a fat desktop PC at home), so for me the 13" with touchbar version is ideal.

What are your thinkings? Maybe share more of what you do with your computer, or what you would like to do if it was better than what you have now. :) Stuff like storage and RAM depends a lot on what you do with the computer - although storage can easily be extended using USB3 or thunderbolt external drives. RAM, not so much though, not since Apple killed off the DIMM slots.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Try both at the apple store and see which one you prefer.
The 15" has more cores, more ram in its stock configuration, a dGPU and a larger screen.
The 13" costs less, is more mobile and many people prefer the smaller form factor.

There's no right or wrong answer, but rather find the model that best fits your needs.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you

After 7 years of 13" Macbooks (Air and Pro) I ahve just gone to 15" and the increased screen area is very nice *if* you are using it mobile.
Don't put the computers next to eachother in the store - but try just using one for a while - I think that you will quickly get used to either.

IMO the 13" proportions are more pleasing and is easier to pull out, but once you have the thing on a desk then the footprint difference is not a huge issue...

Also with regard to weight, I hardly notice a difference between my 2013 MBP13 and 2018 MBP15

Edit: 13" screens start looking small now after a few days of use of a 15" screen.

Similar to how going back to previous generation (smaller screened) phone seems like an huge step backwards - whilst a 4" or greater phone felt gigantic at the time.

Last edited:

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
Hoo boy... :D I can't really decide what YOU should buy, heh, but from what little you mention it seems you don't have that high requirements, so one of the cheaper models should probably serve you well. Then you should consider how portable you need your laptop to be - the 13" is considerably smaller, and its screen is noticeably smaller too which to some people feels cramped. Personally I want as much portability as I can get in a laptop and still have it fully capable (because I have a fat desktop PC at home), so for me the 13" with touchbar version is ideal.

What are your thinkings? Maybe share more of what you do with your computer, or what you would like to do if it was better than what you have now. :) Stuff like storage and RAM depends a lot on what you do with the computer - although storage can easily be extended using USB3 or thunderbolt external drives. RAM, not so much though, not since Apple killed off the DIMM slots.

I want to be a able to use photo shop as i have started the hobby of photography. As well, i need to edit 4k video for my Vlog and mini movies. usually about 45mins to 1hr and a half of 4k footage

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I want to be a able to use photo shop as i have started the hobby of photography. As well, i need to edit 4k video for my Vlog and mini movies. usually about 45mins to 1hr and a half of 4k footage
Well, photoshop should be able to run quite well even with 8GB RAM for a hobbyist user, and video editing isn't as much memory intensive as it's processor/disk intensive - you're not going to store a full clip in RAM; the vast majority of it resides on disk and the software streams in the bits it needs to access dynamically.

The step up to 16 is like US$300 or so IIRC, and it's the top limit for the current 13" model. Whether that makes sense for you I can't say - like if you have cash burning in your pocket and nothing better to spend it on maybe. However most people are unlikely to cap out 8GB - I had 12GB in one of my older PCs (a socket 1366 Nehalem machine), and I had a hard time blowing even 50% of that. My PC after that had 16GB, and again, had a hard time using more than 50%. Chrome bugging and leaking memory like a sieve could do it (happened a couple times some years ago before they fixed that bug), or simply having super many tabs open, but otherwise...? No. :)

As for storage, I went with the 500GB SSD when I ordered my 2018 MBP as it was a decent amount of space without incurring too big a punch in the gut; the 1TB model was up $500 vs. the cost of the base configuration (250GB) - which is pretty crazy - and 2TB is just plain nuts. 4TB for the 15" model...well, did you just score big at the lottery or something? lol

External flash drives can be pretty damn fast these days, a USB 3.1 10Gbit/s drive is plenty friggin' fast, and certainly cheaper per gigabyte than what Apple charges for internal storage. Don't know pricing off-hand for thunderbolt drives; they're faster than any current flavor of USB, but also hella pricey from what I've seen. Speed will probably be overkill for your needs, but maybe you're made of money so maybe you'll want to go for it anyway what do I know. :D If you're like most people and feel pain in your wallet buying a Macbook Pro then you'll probably want to settle for the base configuraition 256GB Mac, and then expand storage externally with a USB drive when you start to feel cramped.

You put the important stuff on the internal drive; software that you use, and the project you're working on. Then you can move already finished stuff onto an external drive and archive it there. Also think of a backup solution. An external drive is NOT a backup, not if it is the only copy, and even if it is a 2nd copy that is still a bad backup solution... A good backup solution is off-site storage, so that say, a house fire (or theft) can't annihilate both copies of your stuff at once.

But that's a different topic really. :)

Still down.... WTF?

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I need help to decide. I have a MBP 15" (Late 2016) 2.6 i7. I am thinking of upgrading to a MBP 2018. I do some video editing (not that much). Should I go for the 13" or 15"? The 13" looks tempting. What would you recommend? Go for the 13" 512GB SSD with 2.3 or 2.7GHz? Or instead of upgrading the processor, should I upgrade RAM (8 to 16GB). Orrrrr, should I go for the 15" (6 cores)? 15" is amazing, but really heavy to carry around. Thank you in advance for any help...!!!

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I need help to decide. I have a MBP 15" (Late 2016) 2.6 i7. I am thinking of upgrading to a MBP 2018. I do some video editing (not that much). Should I go for the 13" or 15"? The 13" looks tempting. What would you recommend? Go for the 13" 512GB SSD with 2.3 or 2.7GHz? Or instead of upgrading the processor, should I upgrade RAM (8 to 16GB). Orrrrr, should I go for the 15" (6 cores)? 15" is amazing, but really heavy to carry around. Thank you in advance for any help...!!!

Keep the 2016 15” at least till your 4 year KB replacement runs out. From what you stated performance is not the issue, it’s just the I Want To Upgrade. Is that a fair assessment?

Still down.... WTF?

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Keep the 2016 15” at least till your 4 year KB replacement runs out. From what you stated performance is not the issue, it’s just the I Want To Upgrade. Is that a fair assessment?
Yes, true. Thing is that I live in South America and I can sell my 2016 MBP 15 at U$2K. So with that money I can upgrade to a 2018 model. That’s why I’m looking for advice

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014

[doublepost=1532485105][/doublepost]

This is pretty much the conclusion i came to after 20 years of using various form factors from various brands (not just Mac laptops).

The larger notebooks are more powerful than 12-13" machines, sure. But they aren't powerful enough to replace a desktop for me and they run loud and hot when doing hard work, which also requires AC power or you get about an hour of battery doing it. So they're in this awkward situation where they're good for if you need a semi-portable workstation (to move from desk to desk). But they're nowhere near as good as a desktop for that and much more expensive for what you get.

IF the 13" machines can keep the CPU running reasonably cool, a thunderbolt box may be the compromise. You can lug one of those if you have to in a bag or whatever to use at a desk when you get to the destination, but in transit, on the go, etc. the 13" machines are just so much easier to live with.

YMMV if you just need a 15" for the screen real estate rather than the processing power of course...

This post is spot on and I think in the exact same ways.

It all comes down to how people use their computers and what they need. For me, a laptop simply cannot replace my desktop in anyway through experience.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

I'd go for the 13" every time. Use the money you saved vs. a 15" on a thunderbolt box with a GPU in it. It will smoke the 15" when on a desk running anything 3d intensive.

I'd upgrade the RAM instead of the CPU for sure.

Reactions: richinaus

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Always prioritize power

Why?

Being able to actually pull the machine out and USE IT because you have the space to do so trumps a more powerful machine that won't fit on the aircraft tray table, etc.

If you actually need to use the machine as a portable machine (i.e., as a laptop, away from a desk) the 13s are often superior for that.

Depends on your use case, but even 15" laptops are crap compared to a proper desktop, power wise.

Reactions: richinaus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.