13" or 15" for home and office use

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sureshot45, Jun 30, 2010.

1. sureshot45 macrumors newbie

Its time to upgrade and I'm wanting to drink the Mac kool-aid.

Most intense things I have to run are AutoCad(yes will have to install windows) and Photo Shop with the possibility of other engineering programs like SolidWorks.

My current laptop battery is shot so it has been a desktop for about the last 4 months at my house, and I have a computer at work I can use when I'm there. I have external monitors at both places so even if I have a 15" monitor it won't get used unless I'm on the road but in that case I won't be doing anything that demands the screen area, just checking e-mails, browsing the web and maybe uploading some pictures. My biggest concern is running AutoCad and being able to edit some photos when I need to, which won't be more than maybe 30% of the time.

Will the new High end 13" cut it or should I go with the older model 15" with the 512mb graphics?

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

From an "ease of use" perspective (as distinct from "oh my god, better specs!!!"), wouldn't the 15' be of more use to you since you seem like the extra screen space would be helpful (Photoshop and CAD).

That said, the 13' is not insufficient by any means, just that the 15 incher will be easier to use in that regard. You never know when you'll want to do a little bit of work, even if on the fly.

If screen space is really not an issue, as you suggest, then the 13 inch will be more portable, but the 15 inch is more powerful, so you just have to weigh up the obvious factors: weight v power?

Just FYI, i think the 13 inch can run all the things you need to, just it might take a little longer and what not to render whatever you require.

3. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

Aloha Sureshot. A new 13" should be fine. I think the SSD is worth the money. But if you search the forum, you will find many threads that deal with these issues at some length.

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Do not buy the upgraded 13". Either get the base 13" or base 15" i5. Those are the best in price versus performance. The upgraded 13" is clearly the worst value in the entire line of MacBooks. The processor clock difference is negligible in most applications.
    Since you have said that AutoCAD is a concern, you should consider the 15" i5 base model.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

6. Audrey313 macrumors member

I struggle with this decision daily. It's making me crazy and majorly delaying me even getting the MBP because I can't make up my mind and really concerned about making a mistake.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I got the 13" MacBook Pro and it seems fine for doing more 'heavy duty' stuff. Just depends where ya want to take it and how much dough you got to spend :D

8. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

15"

You'll thank yourself for the added screen real-estate down the road. Also, consider a refurb for a bit of savings - put the $ toward upgrading your harddrive or ram yourself.

9. sureshot45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback, I've been running this through my head for months now. I'm really thinking of picking up a refurbish or maybe trying to get one on the student discount and get another Ipod touch.

10. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

15"

Dude, get the 15" is just perfect..
    If you want a 13"... you will be better with an iPad.

:apple: iPhone 4 16 GB.