Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JazzLion

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
With all due respect, isn't Apple something you would rather stay away from?

I ask this as the logo is of the Apple being bitten. A sort of way to glorify of the apple from Eden being bitten? Now, is it truly wise to support a company that enjoys the apple?

:apple:

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California

I ask this as the logo is of the Apple being bitten. A sort of way to glorify of the apple from Eden being bitten? Now, is it truly wise to support a company that enjoys the apple?

Way to bring it back to life... I forgot about this one lol

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Wait, is this the guy who recently made that thread about being single? Everyone was laughing at him... He said he liked cats, and was Catholic I think

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011

this thread is seriously back? someone please close it...

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
First of all, LOL. It's starting to sound like eHarmony in here!
MacBook Pro will NOT:
Cause you to be gay (not that there's anything wrong with that)
Change you into a woman
Change your roommate into a woman
Change you into some other skin color
Make you Muslim or Buddhist or Hindi or Jewish or any other religion
Get you a girlfri....wait maybe it can

More things that would help:
Applications you will be running on it
If weight is an issue (Is 5.6 lbs too heavy?)
Budget limits
Gaming needs

If you DO go with a 15", then you'll want the antiglare screen because cats in your home may scratch your screen. xD

Not according to this thread! :D

pazz

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
London, England
Do yourself a favor, and bring a pen and paper to class.

You won't be doing anything other than surfing the internet if you bring your computer to class. Engineering lectures aren't like English lectures. You'll spend all day drawing diagrams, and writing out equations. Two things not exactly conducive to a laptop. If you have a laptop, your professors will know that you aren't paying attention. Period.

As for programs, the only one you'll need and be able to afford is Matlab. Everything else is going to cost you a fortune, and get you arrested if you are stupid enough to pirate it. The university won't require you to have anything, all programs will be available in one of the 24hr labs on campus.

The other programs you'll need, things like Labview, will only really be needed in lab classes... and you'll be there anyway. 3D modeling programs are going to require you to use the school lab, not much way around that.

So, what it boils down to, is that you'll be using the computer for playing games and surfing the net, occasionally doing Matlab homework, and writing papers and using Excel.

For all of that, the 13" is more than sufficient.

+1

Any lecture which includes mathematics requires paper, pencils and a good calculator. Equations cannot be written at speed on a laptop.

Last edited:

Purestang

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure you wanna stay away from a mac if your going into engineering. Almost all modeling programs are windows based...you may want a windows computer.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I'm pretty sure you wanna stay away from a mac if your going into engineering. Almost all modeling programs are windows based...you may want a windows computer.

I agree. If your serious about engineering a dell precision with a workstation class GPU like a quadro FX or Firegl are the only kind of cards you should looking at. They accelerate things in cad programs that the consumer cards do not and have certfied drivers for these programs which certain regulations may require. Then engineering field is pretty exclusively pc for a wide variety of reasons most of them valid.

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
I'd recommend the 15", given that you have cats.

Should one of your cats decide to sleep on your laptop, it may totally cover the 13" – making you think that it's been lost or stolen. The extra size of the 15" should mean that a bit of it will poke out from under the forty winks seeking feline so you'll know exactly where it is, thus avoiding unnecessary worry and potential embarrassment on your part.

Very few things on the Internet make me literally laugh out loud. This post was one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.