13 or 15 for some FCPX

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by satinsilverem2, Jan 28, 2017.

?

Go for the 13 or 15

1. 13 inch

25.0%
  2. 15 inch

75.0%
  1. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

I think its time for me to replace my maxed out 2011 13" with a new machine. My current usage is Safari, iTunes, Spark mail, moderate Lightroom and about 2-3 hours a week in FCPX editing single cam 4k footage. I've really noticed that the 2011 machine is struggling to do 4k even with proxied media which I blame on the ancient weak HD3000 graphics. My question is should I go for a high end 13 inch again or go for a mid range 15 inch. The 2 BTOs that I've looked at are a 13 with the 3.1 i5, 512GB SSD, and 16GB RAM. The 15 is the 2.6 i7, 512GB, 16GB RAM. So both machines are around the same cost and I'm also having to factor in a new thunderbolt dock to replace my Belkin TB1 dock and buying a couple of USB C to USB A adapters. So I'm trying to stay below $3,000 if I can.

2. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

You might only be doing a few hours a week, but if you're anything like me you'll definitely appreciate the extra oomph that the 15" has for editing your videos.
    The quad core CPU and ATI Pro graphics will make a big difference for video work. That's one of the reasons I'm getting the 15" and upgrading the graphics card on it for the bit of extra performance and 4GB of memory it brings to the table, it's not as if it's an expensive upgrade option.
    I hate doing video work on slower machines, I'm just not that patient to wait an extra minute or two :D