13 or 15 inch Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lmatt34, Apr 21, 2012.

1. lmatt34 macrumors newbie

This fall I will be a freshman in college. This will be my only computer for the next four years. I don't need something for hardcore gaming or intensive graphics. I will mostly be using it for internet, Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint). As a marketing major, I may need some video/graphics editing (again, nothing to high-powered).

I am worried that 13 inches may be too small if I need to use multiple windows simultaneously. However, I would have a hard time shelling out $600 more for 2 inches of screen.

Will the 13 inch be sufficient? (P.S. This will be my first Mac).

2. Liquinn Suspended

Any Mac would be a good choice but I'd personally get the 15" due to the future proofing.

However there's rumors that the 15" will be updated soon.

3. lmatt34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Another thought I had is to wait until Apple updates the MBP's at which point I could buy one of the current 15 inch, which will probably be marked down because they'll be an older model.

4. Liquinn Suspended

Another good idea would be perhaps you could check the refurb section if a refurb would be ideal for your needs.

True, when the 2012 models come out the early 2011 should be cheaper but just one thing, you won't be able to get an anti-glare 2011 15" MBP from Apple after the 2012's come out which is good if you only need glossy anyway.

Cheers. :apple:

5. lmatt34 thread starter macrumors newbie

What type of warranty does Apple offer on the refurbs? Are they as reliable?

6. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Between the 13" Air, and the 15" Pro that I had, the 15" was muuuuch more pleasant working with. True, the 15" Pro is a tad more heavy but it's worth it for all the other features you get. Better screen, better processor, the list go's on. As already mentioned wait till the new ones come out, then you can choose between the 2011 15", and the 2012 15". I'm willing to bet you break down and go with the 2012 15". :D

7. Liquinn Suspended

They are 100% reliable.

With a refuurb you only get a brown box and not the Apple box that comes with new products.

Refurbs come with one year limited Apple warranties.

I would go with the 15" though if I was you, all the best! :)

8. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

The 13 inch should suit all your needs for the next 4 years. If you have the money the 15 would definitely be more future proofed. If you're straining your budget though I wouldn't feel bad if you did go with a 13, as I'm sure with you being a marketing major, it will be more than enough for that duration of time.

9. Kafka macrumors 6502

1280x800 is too small for working with multiple windows. Got to learn using Lion gestures and Mission Control, which is fine for me, but I don't "work" on my computer.
    1440x900 is a bare minimum when considering multiple windows.
    I own a 13", and will upgrade soon since I rarely need portability.

10. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Gestures make the 13" usable, along with full screen mode. I live in full screen mode, swiping four fingers left and right to navigate spaces is pretty easy, even as a long time windows user I learned how to manage spaces pretty quickly. Also I might note that I came from a 17" windows laptop.

I guess it all comes down to user preference though.

11. lmatt34 thread starter macrumors newbie

I too currently use a 17 inch PC.

12. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

If $600 is absolutely a drop in the bucket go for 15. I loved the portability in college.

13. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Well for what it's worth the transition wasn't bad at all. I'm sure transitioning to a 15" might be easier, but if anything make sure you do learn to use Mission Control and review gestures regardless. The large track pad put my 17" to shame, I still have it as a backup but I hope I never have to get on it again. Mission Control actually makes me feel like I have MORE space than on my 17" to work with. Hiding the dock (much like hiding the start menu bar in windows) helps with space, and if you're getting used to it, it might also help to turn on tap to click in System Preferences.

Anyways good luck, either way a MacBook Pro, no matter the size, will be much better as a laptop thanks to the roomy comfortable trackpad and the features in Lion geared towards it.

14. lmatt34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any difference between the size of the keyboard between the 13 and 15? If so is it even an issue on the 13?

15. Blues003 macrumors 6502

I am in a very similar situation, and will be getting my first Mac once the MBP line gets refreshed.

I was considering the 13". However, given the extra screen estate and the quad-core+dGPU of the 15", I might be going with the latter option. Not only it provides a lot more room for me to work, but the CPU/GPU combo is far superior, thus making the laptop last me for more time before being unsupported or lacking the resources necessary to run apps smoothly.

Don't forget even the most basic of apps demand more and more resources as years go by. The 15" is sure to last you 1 or 2 years longer, simply because of its higher raw power.

16. lmatt34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point.

17. srshaw macrumors 6502

I debated between all the macbook pros. Thinking 17" for the size, 13" for portability. In the end I went to the apple store and tried them and settled for the 15" (with hi res graphics). The 17" was really too big and the 13" was ok, but the specs were a little lacking.

I wouldn't buy a new macbook pro now though. I new one should be just around the corner, although I love mine, and will keep it for a few years yet.

18. roofz macrumors regular

I was in your shoes not too long ago, but I decided to hold out and go for the 15" whenever it comes out. Much for the same reasons that everyone else has listed.