13 or 15" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Toimia, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Toimia macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Recently I've been looking at purchasing a Macbook Pro for iPhone game development. As well as Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop and general browsing. I'm currently stuck between getting a 13" or the 15". The 13" has a 2.7Ghz i7 dual-core with intergrated Intel HD 3000 graphics compared to the 15" which has a 2.0Ghz quad-core, but a 256MB ATI 6490M.

If the dual-core/intergrated graphics is more than sufficient to handle them programs without bottlenecking/crashing, surely the extra .7ghz would make it the better purchase?(Let alone over 500 quid cheaper).

Thanks,

- Toimia :cool:

2. kjmff5 macrumors regular

Well first off, I don't think there has been much of a performance difference from the i5 and i7 on the 13". There is some definite gain going from the 13" to the 15" though. So if you were considering the 13" I would urge to go the i5 route. You could save that money for a SSD or RAM or something like that.

What about screen size? Have you used a 13" or a 15" screen? Some people find that the 13" is just too small...so maybe a 15" with HiRes or something for you if that's the case.

Hopefully I'm not confusing you even more as to what to get.

3. Toimia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response!

I went into the Apple store yesterday and had a look, unfortunately the only applications available were like Safari and itunes. Which seems fine, but for programming/photoshop, I'm not sure it may be large enough. I probably won't be doing as much heavy activity on the go, but I just don't want it to bottleneck/crash any intense applications since it's a dual core.

Thanks,

- Toimia