13" or 15" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cardinalryan, Oct 18, 2011.

1. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

I have a question...why is it that most people on this board say it's a foregone conclusion that you should get a 15" over a 13" MBP?

I am honestly asking the question because I don't know the answer. Let's put it this way, if you are a moderate user of the computer and the heaviest piece of software you are running is Aperture or Lightroom, is the 15" really $600 better than the 13"?

Also, this is going to be a computer that my family will be allowed to use as well. That being said, should I get the MBP or an iMac. As for portability, it is more of a luxury than necessity, but I like the option of being able to take it with me if need be. It boils down to this, am I giving up too much by going with an MBP just for the "option" of portability? I know these are somewhat broad questions, but I would like to hear some of experienced users pros and cons of these options.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I prefer the 13". Reasons:
    1) more portable (I am a macbook air user so I am biased)
    2) Appearance: I hate the way you see the speaker grills on the 15" and 17"
    3) Space/weight: Desks are crowded!

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Most people on this forum are not average users. Their needs are often heavier and hence the 15" MBP is a no-brainer. However, for a regular consumer like you, the 13" is more than fine. It can do the same as 15", just a bit slower. You most likely won't even notice any difference.

I would say go for the 13" with an external monitor. That way it's like an iMac, yet still portable.

4. Takashi macrumors regular

It's all personal preferences. I went with 13" because of portability, and it's cheaper than 15". The 13" fit my needs.

5. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

This.

6. cardinalryan thread starter macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

I really appreciate the replies, it really does help to hear other people's past experiences with what they liked and didn't like.

I'm still on the fence about going with a 21" iMac or 13" MBP, but for my needs, it sounds like I can rule out the 15" MBP.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

If portability is just a luxury then I think an iMac is the way to go, more bang for the buck.

8. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Get the iMac.

Since it will be shared with others and portability is not necessary.

9. swedefish macrumors 6502

This! especially if it's a family computer. And if it's a matter of bringing the computer to, say, a summer house, etc. the iMac is actually simple enough with it's single power cable that it's possible to move it around without too much hassle.

10. cardinalryan thread starter macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

This really is a tough decision...I wish I could get both, but I'm not willing to spend the amount necessary to get both. I have uses for each model...this is brutal trying to choose between the two.

11. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

What if you got 13" Macbook Pro
    Book Arc Stand
    Random Monitor (and adapter)
    Random Mouse
    random Keyboard

Instant desktop

When you need laptop, just unplug everything :)

12. cardinalryan thread starter macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

I guess my other option would be getting a $500 windows pc and then an iPad for me to satisfy my portable fix. Any thoughts on that configuration, or would I just be better off going with the MBP or iMac?

13. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd get a 13" pro and a monitor. I have a very similar setup and it works very well for me

14. B.LI macrumors regular

If your going for the MBP 13", you might as well go for the MBA 13" instead

15. cardinalryan thread starter macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

That throws a wrench into everything...why do you say that? As my only computer in the house, I figured I might need the expandability of the MBP and the superdrive.

16. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

eh, I have to disagree with the MBA. If it isn't going to be carried around places all the time, there is no reason to get it over the cheaper, more powerful and more expandable MBP.

17. cardinalryan thread starter macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

No one seems too hip on my idea of going with a windows pc for the fam and an iPad for me. I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck with about $1,200 as my limit.

18. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you don't have a beef with Windows, go for it. That's really not a bad idea either.

19. B.LI macrumors regular

My apologies, didn't even read the post properly... thought you 'wanted' the portability of the MB...
    anyways, my suggestion would be either of the MBPs with an external monitor (for home use), whether its 13" or 15" its really up to personal preference, if you just want to use the MBP for browsing the web, listen to music or check mails the 13". If its heavy programs your using e.g. aperture, photoshop, illustrators... then the 15"
    however in the future you can always add a new ram for speed or an ssd :)

PS: thought the link underneath might help you
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Which_size_MacBook_Pro_should_I_buy

20. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I have both a 15" and 13" MBP. The 15" is for sale.

A portable computer is supposed to be portable... The 13" is the "sweet spot." I have had to leave the 15" home on international trips because it was too large and heavy. I travel light with only two carry-on bags and the 15" is just a bit too large...

My only complaint with the 13" is the lack of an anti-glare display BTO option from Apple. Fortunately, the Power Support anti-glare film for $35 really does a nice job of eliminating reflections. There is also a $200 Tech Restore display replacement available.

I really wanted to like the MacBook Air but the LED display gives me headaches and eyestrain; the MBP display is better for me.

I'm leaning toward pairing the 13" with a 24" external display and selling my aging 24" iMac. The base model MBP is really fast and the ability to upgrade the RAM up to 16GB is a nice plus. (I find that 8GB is plenty for me.)

If the rumored MBP speed boost arrives you can snag a previous-generation MBP at a good discount. If you are a college student the best deals can be found at college bookstores that sell Macs.

21. saback macrumors member

If you don't know the difference, you don't need a 15''

22. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

whats the matter with this? You should con side a used or refurbished model to pay for these extras.

23. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

This is the setup I have. I want to get a bigger monitor but I use it for photo editing and the 13" is perfect. Plus I have the portability when I need it.

24. swedefish macrumors 6502

I also agree that the 13" hits the sweet spot and I am a bit worried that I will find my MBP 15 (which is in transit) a lot clunkier than my old MBP 13. But the lack of an anti-glare display is a deal-breaker for me re the 13. After getting rid of my anti-glare ACD I just can't imagine using a glass display as my main one, hence why I went with the MBP 15 this time around.

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Well the processors are available for such a boost. I think that's been the real basis for the rumor, especially with expected delays on Ivy Bridge. Some of the online retailers have had some excellent pricing as well. I recall seeing new mac pros at $1900 when the 2010 model debuted from a reliable/reputable one. Keep in mind that was less than Apple wanted for a refurb on their site. The 15" doesn't seem bad to me in terms of weight/size. It's mostly the 17" that's a bit more cumbersome. I wonder how many 17" macbook pros they sell these days given the push for greater portability. It seems like it was more of a desktop replacement a few years ago before larger display were as cheap as they are today.