13" or 15" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CookbookChef, Jun 19, 2009.

1. CookbookChef macrumors newbie

I was laid off a couple of months ago, but recently took a new job. Two weeks into the new job, a position that I really wanted but was unable to take last year reopened. The pay should be better than what I make now. The downside is that I may be required to travel extensively out of the country for weeks at a time.

My wife said that if I get the job, that she will pay for a Macbook, rather than having me dust off one of my old Windows machines.

I was thinking that the 13" would be good, but I am wondering if I would be better off with the 15" instead. I will be required to run Windows (part of the job), probably in Bootcamp, but in the off hours will probably use it to remote into my mac pro at home, some programming and probably some Photoshop work.

Opinions?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

13" is perfect for you. It's more portable than 15" and power wise they are quite same (you would have to go for 2.66GHz with 9600GT to get any difference)

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If you're travelling a lot, you might even appreciate the Air. With the spec bump and price drop, it's actually a pretty appealing machine these days. Failing that, the 13" - portability is key, especially when travelling, and the 15" doesn't bring enough to the table to be worth the extra size/weight.