13" or 15" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacFanUK, Nov 18, 2009.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I bought a 13" 2.26GHz Macbook Pro about a month ago and already, my fiance has acquired it and left me with a £400 Dell laptop.

Anyway, looking at the Dell and the Macbook Pro, the screens are both 1280 x 800 and it doesn't feel like the MBP is small (I was quite worried about the smaller screen).

However, I am now looking to get a 2nd Macbook pro when they are next updated (purely because I won't have the money til then), and the new one will my mine (hands off woman! lol) so I was just wondering if it was worth going for a 15".

Say they keep the 'differences' between models the same, so the base 15" is basically the same as the high end 13" but with a bigger screen, is the bigger screen worth the extra money of should I stick with a 13"?

I will be using it for business mainly (managing a web hosting/development company), but most actual development will be done on my desktop.

Thanks

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

If your gonna do your work mainly on your desktop, and you are not going to use it for games, I would say stick with the 13". It's more portable, and it runs great.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

The screen on the 13" isn't that much smaller then the 15. 1280x800 vs 1440x900 is only 160x100 difference. Now if you go to the 17 yeah that is a big difference 1920x1200.

4. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

not quite. he is losing 1440*900 - 1280*800 = 272000 pixels.

5. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat...13 v. 15. Can we keep the dicussion on pixels going? I need to learn something.

6. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

For me the 15 was a must because I couldn't stand a smaller screen. It wasn't about pixels or resolution just pure real estate. I don't even run it at full resolution because it's too small and sharp for me at that setting. I think if someone is going for the 13 simply because it's cheaper but really want the larger screen in their gut then they will regret it later. It's pretty easy to look at them both in a shop and see which your eyes prefers.

7. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Try leaving it to people that want to help next time :)

That sticky isn't helpful in the slightest to be honest.

Thanks for everyone else and their comments. Yeah, I have had a 15" MBP before (the old style one) and I loved it, but I also like the 13" that my fiance now has. However, I'm not sure I could live with the 13" screen.

Yeah, the screen real estate (pixels) is the same as the 15" I'm using at the moment, but is there anyone here that struggles using the 13" (and willing to admit it)?

8. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I used to have one of those white Macbooks (late 07 I believe) and ever since I switched to this 15" Macbook Pro (late 08), I can't use the Macbook anymore. For what I do, this 15" screen is perfect for me. I would love a 17", but the computer as a whole is too big. The 15" seems like the perfect compromise when dealing with size/weight/screen size.

9. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

People will always try to justify their purchase. I think if Apple made a 15" Macbook at a cheaper price they would sell well. But they know that people who just must have the 15" will pay the higher price so while it's kind of crappy it's good business.

10. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

I have a 15, and I find that it's a good mix of portability and space

11. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

I've found that the 13 is just too small. The 15 is the best middle of the two. If it's going to be your only computer? You'll thank us for the extra 2 inches...

12. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Going through the same conundrum - my take:
    I want the 13" for portability
    15" for more pixels + matte screen option

Leaning towards the 15" in order to send Apple a message regarding the matte screen, but my flights today made me glad for the slightly smaller 14" (4:3) thinkpad that I currently have (with, gulp, 1024*768 screen :-o). Decisions, decisions...

13. phatcat macrumors regular

14. Smoothie macrumors 6502

I had a 15" MBP and returned it two years ago for various reasons related to build quality. I now have a mid-2009 13" MBP, and I like it for its portability. Although I haven't had to do this, you can always hook up an external monitor for those situations where you need a large screen.

15. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

What happens if Apple offers the matte option on the 13? Do you gravitate back to the 13?

16. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure I would. I'm a small (120pound) guy, and I shuttle my laptop between home, work and cafe etc. I'm also fairly ugly, so I don't want to see my face the *whole* time I'm using the laptop monitor :p

Currently using a 4:3 format Thinkpad T60, and I'd prefer not to go any larger than that (weight is about the same for the Matte MBP15 as for the T60).

Can I pick the MBP15 up one handed with the lid open (holding at the palm rest)? The MBP13 felt more solid in that configuration - Ive heard a lot of horror stories about bent macbooks - at least the older models...

17. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I've been in the same dilemma, I'd suggest the 15" unless you really need portability.

I love the 15" screen when working away from a desk, it's seem like less strain on eyes viewing a larger less cramped screen.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

18. smchan macrumors member

I have all 3 machines: a 13, 15 and 17" MBP. As a desktop replacement machine, I love the 17" the best and run it in dual monitor mode alot.

The 17 is too heavy for travel and impossible to use on an airplane unless I'm sitting at the bulkhead due to the size. The 15 is a little better but still slightly too big to use on a plane. The plus of the 15 is it feels good in my lap; enough screen real estate and not too heavy.

I got the 13 for travel. I've not yet flown with it but believe I'll be able to use it on a plane in most scenarios thanks to it's small size. I also note that it feels cool and light in my lap (unlike the 17).

Bottom line: unless you're flying a lot and/or using an external monitor for extra resolution - I'd go for the 15". But if you need portability and work in tight spaces, I prefer the 13".

Sam

19. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

Same decision here! Hmmmmm... Im thinkin 13.3'' though as I like to move around the house and to others places. So portability would be nice.
    Downside is the videocard but I think it should still perform good. The price is a little less and specs are still good. (Talking about high end MBP model)

I was at 2 24'' Desktop PC and sold those to go to a 15.4'' laptop as I didn't use my desktop as much and wanted portability. Then currently using an 14'' ASUS N81Vp-D1 which is great!
    Being im a PC guy and thinking of buying a MacBook Pro 13.3'', im dropping down to a smaller screen size again and into a whole new OS. Changes never hurt, but when your spending a good amount of cash, I wanna make sure Im doing the right choice!!! :apple:
    I guess I can always hook the 13.3'' MBP to a HDMI TV for a larger screen...

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm on a 13" MacBook right now, and its OK but the screen seems a little small. I tried my Dad's 15" MBP and it seems better, so I'm getting a 15" MBP soon:D

21. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Good to hear from someone who has all three MBP's. Overall what's you favorite of the bunch?

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah that would be interesting to know :D What's your favorite size? I think mine is the 15":rolleyes:

23. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

24. smchan macrumors member

My octo-core Mac Pro. :D (But to be fair, I do not have an iMac or a Mac mini.)

If I'm working on something that demands resolution like Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, or Visio (I know, evil) and I'm portable - then I prefer the 17.

I just got the 13 but so far it's turning into my favorite couch potatoe surfing machine since it's light and cool in the lap. The 17 gets very warm in my lap; that sucker will sterilize a fellow! I think I'll tend to prefer the 13 as my travel machine as well. I'm loving the battery life on the 13 so far too.

Here's a photo of the 13 sitting on top of the 17 to give an idea of size. My 17 is an early 2008 model and my 13 and 15 and current unibody models.

Sam

Attached Files: