13" or 15" MBP 2016...which should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shermy, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Shermy macrumors newbie

Shermy

I will be watching Netflix, doing some light video editing, light photoshop work, and web browsing. Which did 2016 did you get, and why? Those who have the 13"...are you 100% happy with its screen real estate? Those who have the 15" are you okay with its portability?

2. vjobs macrumors regular

I have the 15". Not explicitly for the extra performance, just for the bigger gorgeous display.

3. StlCards80 macrumors member

StlCards80

I got the 13 TB, and I love it. The only issue I'm having is the transition from Windows.

4. Itsedstech macrumors 6502a

I switched between the 2 4 times....stuck with the 13 inch. so much more compact, and i can lay in bed with it on my tummy more comfortably and watch youtube haha

5. StlCards80 macrumors member

StlCards80

I can't knock the 15, but I couldn't imagine not having the portability I get with the 13.

6. xxray macrumors 6502

It depends. It sounds like you don't need the extra screen real estate or performance of the 15", but if you'd prefer a larger screen and better specs and are ok with the higher price and lower portability, go for it. I think a 13" would suit you better though purely based off the uses you listed, both for price and portability.

I will be getting the 15" though, because I really need the larger display and I want the best performance. It's obviously heavier and less portable than the 13", but it's lighter and much thinner than my current MBP so I actually gain portability going from my current late 2011 13" MBP to the new 15" MBP.

7. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I have had both and settled on the 15" I am fine with the portability. Right now I'm laying on the couch with it on my abs and have no issues typing or very much heat for that matter. go with the 15" oh I find it better when viewing spreadsheets. the extra screen real estate is worth it

8. Shermy thread starter macrumors newbie

Shermy

I first got the 13" and found it was REALLY small. It felt more like an iPad and not a laptop. I returned it for the 15" "second tier" and it's PERFECT!! It's the size a laptop should be IMO...not too big and small enough to be portable. The 13" looked like a toy next to the 15"....albeit I know it's not.

9. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

For what you do, the performance of the 13 inch is suitable, but if money is not a problem, then the 15 inch would be my choice.

I was going to purchase the 15 inch MBP in 2015, but after a iPhone purchase and the fact that the 15 inch model was using a CPU (Haswell) that was a generation behind; I settled for the 13 inch early 2015 Broadwell.

Still happy with it and its super fast, but when the time comes to upgrade, which probably won't be for the next 5 years, I am shooting for a 15 inch.

10. sallenthornton macrumors regular

I went refurbished 15 2016 touch bar. My use is much like yours. I just figured that I've never owned the 15 and was really looking for a computer that I can use for many years to come. I don't think there is a bad choice.