13" or 15" MBP for different needs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mars2010, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Mars2010 macrumors member

I need a laptop for when the family go on vacation every winter. I ended up buying a 27" iMac in July since our two PCs were having "issues". Anyway, I still need to buy that laptop; I need some input about which one would be best for our needs. I am looking at the 13" and 15" specifically. The 13" would be best for portability, but the 15" can be used as a desktop to replace the oldest of the PCs.

It would be used for internet games and browsing, nothing really intensive. I don't like the idea of buying out-going technology, so the i5 is more appealling. Which would be the greater inconvenience?: Having to carry around a larger/heavier laptop, or having a smaller, possibly under-powered laptop at home? I know a lot of this is personal choice, but I would appreciate the insight of those who have had the same sort of dilemma.

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

If money ain't an issue, I'd say go 15". Plenty of power, support, and it's not crazily heavier/bigger than the 13" really. Depends just how much lugging about you're going to do.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You won't really use the potential of i5 so I would just grab a 13". If you want to use it as a desktop, just get an external monitor, 22-24" can be had for less than 200$.

4. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

^Agreed.

It's a matter of preference (and, of course, budget). Go play with them each and perhaps that will aid in your decision. I had a 17" previously and personally chose portability this time around. Good luck!

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

In your case, all you're going to be paying for is the extra screen real estate. If you don't need the extra screen size, then just get the 13". However I disagree with HellHammer, as there is every possibility that programs will use the Core i5 capabilities in the future, so IF you can afford it, then I recommend going for the 15" i5, however if money even becomes questionable, then just go for the low-end (Specifically the low-end.. The high end 13" is a rip off) 13" MBP.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Let me know when I can speed up my Safari with a faster CPU

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Firstly, I like to disagree with you ;)

Secondly, nobody knows what might happen in the future, everyone used to think that a G3 PPC would be the ***** forever. But that quickly changed and it can now barely run webpages smoothly if there are a lot of graphics or some flash on it.

Like I said though, I said if money is no object, then go for the 15" as it gives you the extra real estate and the future proof CPU, and I did say that if money even becomes a questionable factor, then don't even consider a 15".

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

People really thought that? Did people only recently get common sense? :confused:

9. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

It's like a few years ago, people thought C2D's will last forever, give it 10 years; chances are even those will become ridiculously outdated.

Unfortunately, it's how technology works.

10. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Two points from my perspective:

I just bought my wife a 13'' MBP because her old HP was falling apart. I have a 17" MBP. Going from the big screen to the smaller of the two was not anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I found myself very comfortably using her computer. The C2D was nice and snappy. Granted, I wasn't doing anything too intense on it. That's just my experience though (as it relates to your question regarding screen size).

Point two: Have you considered an iPad instead? If you're primarily playing games and surfing the web, the iPad is perfect for this. Again, we bought my wife an iPad a couple of months ago and she rarely touches her computer except for work on quickbooks or syncing to iTunes. All surfing, reading, YouTube watching, games, etc. are now done on the iPad. This would be perfect for travel so you don't have to carry around a computer and power supply.

Also, the keyboard you can buy for the iPad has been working out fantastically. No more need for a computer to send emails or post on forums. Also very portable.

Hope that helps!

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That applies to i5 as well. Give it few years and MacBook will outperform the current i7 MBP. Also, the CPU isn't the only bottleneck in G3s, the amount of RAM they can utilize is ridiculous given the standards of today's websites and software. No matter what you buy, it will be outdated, sooner than later.

12. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

The i5 will last longer than the C2D though ;)

13. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Similar experience for my wife and I also.

Could you ever see yourself downsizing from the 17" to the 13" or 15" MBP?

14. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I actually could see going to a 15'' MBP. The 17" is nice but I often use an extended desktop anyway. I chose a 17 because my last several PC laptops have been 17 inch. It was just automatic for me.

I really am kind of enjoying my wife's 13 inch MBP though. Nice and compact.

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Not by any appreciable amount, nor will it happen in 2 or 3 years. You're talking 4 or 5.

16. Blues003 macrumors 6502

I am debating too between 13'' vs 15''. I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of tasks you find the 13'' screen impossible or uncomfortable of doing on, which you can on the 15''.

17. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Kind of tough to say because everyone is different but I can tell you what my own experiences are.

I do a lot of work where I am editing database files (large comma delimited type stuff), reviewing imaged documents and reviewing and editing video. Often it is necessary for me to have 3 or 4 applications open at the same time while I have multiple windows open of variants of certain text/load files (for comparison and for data migration in large chunks). Screen realestate becomes filled up very quickly.

So, the larger the screen the more room I have. An extended desktop is a lifesaver for me.

Although I really like the 13 inch screen, it is unlikely I could perform the type of tasks I described above with any degree of efficiency.

My guess is that people who work a lot with video and/or are photo editor types have the same issues. If you're simply surfing the web and need a chat window open at the same time my guess is 13 inches will be fine. Need multiple windows open and usable at the same time? The bigger the screen the better.

Hope that helps a little!

18. Mars2010 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the comments. If the 13" came with the i5 processor, it would be perfect. The salesperson at Apple told us the iPad would be good for our needs, however, it is not compatible with Flash games (correct me if I'm wrong). I am going from 27" and 24" monitors on the desktops, so 13" isn't too much of an adjustment?

19. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You'll adjust to 13" It's still a comfortable size.

Flash games on the iPad is possible, but you have to jailbreak and it's buggy. For all practical purposes, the answer is no.

20. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

21. aznpride macrumors newbie

+1

22. Xenophon macrumors regular

For what you intend to use it for, get the 13". I used to have a 15" laptop and it was a PITA b/c I travel a lot. Got me the 13", maxed out on memory, plonked a cinema display on my desk and never looked back.